Chapter XXV: Fights and Falsities

The Lady Knight

I pulled on Aurora's reins weakly, as the huge, grey building of soft stone loomed over the both of us in the winter night. The streets were only slightly lit by lanterns, and yet, the faint light from them was enough to cast several shadows around me eerily.

However, I could not care less about the dangers that lurked in every corner of my journey. I was hungry, I was exhausted, I was hurting all over, and I absolutely could not bear to sit on Aurora any longer.

It was still a source of wonder and mystery to me as to why she had not thrown me off her saddle yet, because I truly felt like doing so myself.

"Who is there?" the guards at the gate cried out to me, "in the name of Her Grace the Duchess Estelle of Vareniol, identify yourself!"

I smiled faintly. It had slipped my mind that Estelle had become Duchess, now that Lord Pierre was dead. It had been too long since I had last seen her. I wondered how she was faring.

"Hold your peace, guards," I called out as I rode towards the guards, hating how my voice sounded weak and cracked, "I am Commander General Van Helsing of the Monriquan Armed Forces. Her Grace is expecting me for the Potential Quest, if I am not wrong."

I gestured to the sword by my waist for proof, unable to speak much more.

Each and every sword belonging to an army officer in the Army could be traced back to them, as it was made for them and them alone based on their ranks. As I was a Commander General, there was only one sword like mine in the country and was easily identified.

Realising I was injured, they approached me, and removed my sword from its sheath to scrutinise it. When they were satisfied, they then proceeded to stare at my features to identify me. It would have been amusing once upon a time to watch their expressions turn deathly pale in synchronisation, if not for the fact that I was extremely irritable at the present.

"Ma'am...mayhap you should visit a physician at once. There is a physician who lives a mile or so down the path," one of them dared to blanch at me, his eyes travelling over each and every one of my burns on my extremities.

I felt extremely uncomfortable by their stares. "I am fine," I snapped in exhaustion, knowing that I sounded false to my own ears, "allow me to enter, if you please."

They nodded, frowning in worry, as they swung open the gates to allow Aurora to canter her way into the Vareniol Manor grounds. I turned the familiar arc in front of the huge Manor and proceeded straight for the stables. Good memories of this duchy returned to my mind, as my tired eyes travelled over the snow-covered grounds.

Estelle and I used to make snow angels in the porch during winters when we were younger, much to the amusement of her parents. We also used to play hide and seek about these very grounds with Elisabeth. Naturally, Estelle had been the seeker, and Elisabeth and I had been the ones to hide.

She had been the only player thus far whom I have always lost to. She found me every time by merely listening for slight movements, for breathing. Her sense of hearing was unrivalled, and I had pestered her many a time to join the Army. She would be a great asset in weeding out criminals in hiding.

It would be wonderful to see her again. With that thought, I rode into the stables.

To my surprise, the stables were already lit by several candles. Among the many horses present, a young man was crouched with his back facing me, tending to a particular stallion with a dark brown mane that resembled the hue of his own hair.

His exceptionally broad shoulders blocked most of the stallion from view, but I was able to hear him speaking to it in deep, soft, gentle tones, running his pale hands through its mane once in a while.