Chapter 43

"Be not afraid of moving slowly, be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Words Spoken And Silent Conversations Found

It was around six in the afternoon the next that day that I heard loud banging on the front door, accompanied by the doorbell a few times. I dropped 'City of Glass' the third book in a new series I had started and looked out the window in confusion. Wes had left early in the morning to spend some quality time with his family and help in all the wedding planning. Mase and Renee had stayed over for the weekends and many other days when they could, intensively planning out everything. It was convenient that they were all too busy to notice Wes' midnight absence.

I saw the faded orange ute that Eli and I frequently rode in when we were little with Eli's father driving us around everywhere. The banging on the door continued until I descended from the third floor all the way to the front door. Eli stood in front of the door, her arm half raised to knock again just as I flung the door open.

"Did I scare off Wes?" she asked innocently, banging on the door loudly again.

"Hello to you too," I stepped aside to let her in. "Let's just hope the neighbours haven't called the police. And Wes isn't here, by the way."

"Your neighbours are miles away from this mansion," she exaggerated, walking into the living room and jumping on the couch. She threw her feet up looking at me expectantly. "SO?!"

"So what?" I told her, grabbing two sodas from the fridge and handing her one. I went back to peer into the fridge for what I could cook today, "So dinner?"

"Oh, my god," she stared at me. "You did, didn't you?"

"Wha-?" then it dawned on me, her expression was too obvious. Blood instantly rushed to my cheeks.

She turned to fully face me from the couch, laughing as I hid behind the fridge, "Welcome to the world of adult fun, Kitty."

"I- We didn't," I snapped the fridge shut.

"Nice try," she smirked. "So, how was he? Was he as good as every girl boasts about?"

"Eli, stop," I groaned as her eyes grew more excited. If she didn't stop where she was now, she'd be going on to tell me about what worked with her expeditions.

"Why? I always tell you everything!" she protested. There we go.

"Because nothing happened!" I hadn't realised that I had raised my voice. The silence rung through the room loud and clear.

Eli put her soda down, "Really?"

"Really."

"Wow," was all she said before she fell into a round of laughter.

I stared at her impassively as she continued laughing for a few good minutes.

"You just lost your invitation to dinner," I stalked out of the kitchen and plopped down onto the couch next to her.

Eli sobered up instantly, but a few giggles escaped every now and then.

"I'm sorry," Eli pursed her lips together.

"When you have the time, please indulge me about what is so funny," I popped open my soda can and took a sip.

"Wes has really fallen for you," she looked at me seriously.

"And that if funny how...?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Because now I'm worried for him more than you," she tried to explain. "And then I remembered that time I told you Wes was just like Tyler. So I found it funny that we were in this place right now."