Chapter 23

THE DAY AT SCHOOL WAS DULL and I have to admit it was lonely without Ezra's constant chatting and his comforting presence. When I would notice him approach me, I would rotate my heels in one eighty degree angle and walk off. At lunch time, I sat at the farthest corner in the cafeteria with Cassidy, a friendly red head from my English class. The huge seven foot football player, who sat in front of me, covered me up from Ezra quite remarkably. At History class, against my wishes, I had to sit next to him. My eyes were either fixed on the disinteresting neat writing on the board or on the fluorescent green glasses the boy on my right was wearing. But I could still feel his intense gaze burning my skin each time.

With my eyes, constantly looking out for Ezra, I was going to the editing club room to prepare the yearbook when I noticed a flash of yellow behind an open door of a locker. Holly Summers,dressed in her skimpy sunflower yellow cheerleader outfit was frantically rummaging in her locker for something. A crown of golden hair was nestled deep within the darkness of her locker. In her state of absolute desperation, she was throwing her stuff on the floor. Variegated lollipop wrappers and tubes of lip gloss littered the floor around her sneakered feet.

"Holly?" I called as I approached the blonde. She suddenly looked at me, a deep frown on her face.

"What do you want?" She snarled.

"I want to talk to you," I asked. I caught a glimpse of her locker. Pictures of a brown haired boy presumably her boyfriend decorated it's metallic walls. Her locker smelled sickeningly of fruit flavoured bubblegums.

"Isn't that what you are doing right now?" She questioned. Frustration and anger reigned over her features.

"As in proper serious talking," I clarified. Furious lines marked her pink tinged forehead.

"Where is it?" She screamed as she stomped her foot on the littered floor, sending the wrappers for a mini flight.

"Allison, can't you see I am busy?" She sneered. I took a tiny step back, slightly intimidated by her anger.

"But-" I stammered. She closed her eyes trying to gain back control over herself. However she lost it more.

"Get lost!" She ordered as she diverted her head back to her utterly messy locker. I lowered my gaze not knowing how to interrogate this hot headed vixen. Something glistened next to my feet. I stooped down to pick it up. A dainty silver chain brilliantly caught the light and gleamed. A lone roughly oval cut agate hung from the middle of the chain.

"I guess this is what you are looking for," I said as I dangled the flimsy chain in front of her perturbed face. Relief washed over her features. Grasping the chain, she pulled it from my hold.

"Thanks," She mumbled half heartedly. She inspected the chain for any non existent damages.

"Now can I-" I asked. She slipped the chain around her neck and fumbled with it's clasp.

"Sure, go ahead," She sighed. I smiled weakly at her which she didn't bother to return. Her inimical behaviour was well known to the student body.

"Um, you might not believe what I am going to say," I warned. She eyed my gloved hands rather tastelessly. The blackness had once again engulfed my hands forcing me to wear gloves. All day long I was tortured by the daunting stares people offered me. I was starting to think of it as an inextricable trap. I am even considering of having a consultation with a dermatologist.

"I don't have much time. Practice starts in two," She said in a clipped tone. I withdrew my hands from her view,placing them securely in the pockets of my jeans.