⎡76⎦

My birthday came and went, but it wasn't the same without the twins. I still got presents, but not the big shebang. I mean, I guess it's cool because I don't have the Trace on me anymore. Draco still got me a present, and I was grateful. However, I'm not so sure about Draco these days. I've been restless in my sleep, so I usually go to the common room in the middle of the night. There was one time, as I was laying on the couch near the fire, I saw Draco slip out, not noticing me curled up on the sofa. He seemed to be in a hurry.

There were other times I saw him do this. He and I had a nearly identical schedule, so when I never saw him during free periods, I began to become suspicious. But I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I mean, there was one time after breakfast that I saw him leave with a green apple and not return until classes. I just hoped everything was okay.

. . .

Hermione and were sat in the stands watching the Gryffindor tryouts for the Quidditch team. Luna was a row down. The Slytherin's had theirs the other day, and I passed with flying colors. I'm the beater again, but it's certainly gonna be different without my brother.

I adjusted the Slytherin scarf on my neck. It was getting colder, you could tell Christmas was coming. Down on the pitch, there was a clump of people dressed in red and gold. Three of those people where Ron, Ginny, and Harry. Harry was chosen as captain of the team by McGonagall. From where we sat we could tell that Harry was trying to say something, as his mouth was moving. Suddenly there was a loud, "Shut it!" from the female ginger. Everything was silent, and you could hear Harry clearly.

"Alright, um, now then, remember, just because you made the team last year does not guarantee you a spot this year. Is that clear?" No one said a word. "Good."

Ron looked up at the stands. Next to me, Hermione gave an awkward wave.

"Hermione?" I asked. She looked at me. "Who's that?" I glanced down at the pitch.

"Who's who?"

"Him. The one staring at you at the pitch." I kept my eyes focused on her.

"I believe his name is Cormac McLaggen."

I glanced down at the guy again who was talking with Ron. Skeptically I asked Hermione, "Is there any chance that you might like that ginger down there?"

Hermione looked startled, "I— whatever makes you say that?"

"When you came to the Burrow, I couldn't help but notice how you reacted to different things. You aren't your usual self when Ron's around."

"I'm sorry Hazel, but I believe that I was perfectly normal," she whispered the rest, "And no, I do not like Ron!"

I whispered back, "Then why did you whisper?"

"I—"

She was cut off by the sound of Harry's whistle.

Ron and Cormac McLaggen mounted their brooms and flew up to the hoops. Ginny flew around with the Quaffle, twisting and turning until she was merely a red streak in the air. Two players were flying behind her, but they collided as she did a 360 on her broom.

Cormac was a great keeper. He hit every ball that came close to him. Ron was pretty good too despite the fact that at one point, he fell off his broom and was holding on by just his hands. It took him a while, but he was finally able to get back up.

Then it came down to the final deflect. If Cormac was able to deflect the ball this last time, he would become the Keeper of the Gryffindor team if Ron couldn't. Next to me, Hermione turned her head, so she wasn't facing me and whispered into her hand, "Confundus."