nine

"okay, text me whenever you need anything, and when you're ready for me to come pick you up. mikey? are you listening to anything i'm telling you?"

"hm? yeah, i am," michael muttered, glancing down at his all-black attire. after ashton had picked up the milk from the supermarket, the two had gone home to change out of their gym clothes and then ashton drove michael to luke's place. needless to say, michael wasn't exactly his normal, bubbly self and ashton could clearly see that something was up with his best friend.

"what's wrong, mikey?" ashton asked quietly, drumming his fingertips against the steering wheel as his hazel eyes flickered all across michael's features, "if you're just scared of the weather, don't be. it's going to be okay, and if you feel like you need me, just facetime me and i'll come here to keep you company."

"that's not it," michael sighed, although he warily eyed the downpour outside of the car, "um, i think i'm wrong about luke. i should have listened to you; i can't just assume that he likes me because he wanted me to babysit his kids."

"aw, like i said, just take it slow with him," ashton smiled fondly over at michael as he reached out to comfortingly place his large hand on michael's knee, "he's insane if he doesn't like you, buddy. have you even seen yourself? you're adorable as fuck."

michael's cheeks crimsoned at that and he swatted at ashton's hand playfully, "ashy! watch your language!"

his best friend just smiled widely before reaching out again to ruffle up michael's brown hair, "you should probably get going, kiddo. i'll be here at exactly nine-thirty."

"i don't get off 'til ten," michael reminded, tilting his head to the side confusedly before he reached up with both hands to smooth down his messy hair. his hand then lingered to the car door, getting ready to open it as his pale green eyes glanced over to meet ashton's brightly lit hazel ones.

"i know, but just in case," ashton shrugged, so michael smiled at him before leaning over to give him a quick hug. finally, the brown haired boy got out of the car and stuffed his fists into the pocket of his oversized hoodie, glancing down to the pants he had decided to wear. since he didn't feel like struggling into skin-tight skinny jeans, michael had decided to put on a pair of black, sheer leggings and he adored his decision to wear them.

michael cautiously walked up to luke's front door and rung the doorbell before running some fingers through his slightly damp hair from the rain. he bit back a smile as he saw luke walking up to the front door balancing a fussy matthew on his hip, then he straightened his back instinctively as the older blond opened the front door.

a smile spread onto luke's dark pink lips at the sight of michael standing out on his porch, "michael, hey. it's good to see you again."

"you, too," michael muttered before glancing down to matthew, smiling down at the little boy. luke opened the door wider in a gesture for michael to come in, so the younger boy snuck one last glance outside at ashton's car driving off before he stepped inside the warm and cozy house.

luke jutted his hip out towards michael as if silently asking him to take the little boy in his arms. michael carefully picked up matthew and held him close, smiling as his arms went around michael's neck.

"he likes you," luke commented, running some fingers through his gelled back hair before he cast his glance around his house, "hm, mazie's around here somewhere. she's probably just in her room colouring; let me go grab her."

"hey, friend," michael smiled at matthew as luke disappeared down one of the hallways that led to matthew's and mazie's bedrooms, "how are we doing today, hm? ready to have some fun with the best babysitter ever?"