Chapter 53: A son's first hero

Saira's P.O.V

"Take Zuko and Ilah with you! The zeppelin's waiting for you!", I yelled to my brother and sister in-law.

"But Saira! What will happen to you?"

"I'm going to be fine Lu Ten. You four are my priority now!"

"What if something happens to you?"

"It won't make a difference, Lu Ten. I have fulfilled my task. I have given birth to a Zuko and Ilah."

"You can't talk like this Saira!", Medora cried, "You are like my older sister! You have to come to the Fire Nation with us!"

"I'm sorry Medora...but I can't. Republic City needs me."

"How about us, Saira? How about Zuko and Ilah? Don't they need their mother?"

"Medora. I know that my children are in good hands. And who said that I'm going to die?"

"Saira you nearly died two months ago! We nearly got killed if Iroh wasn't there!"

It was true what my sister-in-law was saying. Republic City's situation got worse. The equalists were taking over the city more and more. I still thanked god that he didn't let Iroh go on the mission that day. I remembered as if it was yesterday.

I woke up the next morning alone. Iroh was already gone, he had a meeting at the United Forces HQ. My children were still asleep and my siblings in law arrived yesterday evening. I was the only one awake this morning and I enjoyed the calmness in the palace. My feet carried me to my wardrobe and I chose something acceptable for today. I was still tired because Zuko was still very lively at night. Ilah was different. She was a very calm girl and always watching her big brother. Ilah was daddy's little girl and Zuko my little boy, although we loved both equally. We didn't treat them different because there wasn't any preference. Iroh and I never treated Zuko better than Ilah because he was next to the throne after his fatherZuko just got four years old and Ilah two. I enjoyed my time with them when I didn't have to attend Royal Engagements. Zuko already had his first as well as Ilah but both of them still weren't aware what they were doing. The crowds always got pleased when my children waved or did anything.