Fourteen • Dinner

Leaving the pub it was dusk, Poppy would be expecting you back soon and yet you really did want to ask Newt to dinner.

"You hungry?" You asked him casually.

"Not at the moment." Newt said.

His face showed everything he didn't want you to know. He was sad, the letter Marty had left had made him upset. Poppy was completely right when she said that Newt was kind hearted and compassionate.

"Well in that case, if your not taking me out to dinner, I had better go home." You said as you walked back through Diagon alley. The store lights were now lit and as the sun was setting the street lights lit like clockwork by magic.

"We could go for dinner." Newt said, as he looked over at you.

"Who's paying? Because that determines if it's a date or not." you said, as you cocked an eyebrow at the man.

Newt needed some distraction while the two of you waited to move forward with the case. You knew as much as he wouldn't show it Newt was being eaten away at on the inside. He probably felt he was partially responsible in some way or that he was ashamed of what people could do to animals.

"I can pay." He said in his once again somber tone.

"Great we can go to one of the stalls." You said in a fake cheery voice as you led the way to the restaurant like pop up shops.

You linked your arm in his and dragged him along with you to get food. He complied and followed along.

You ended up at a stall with baked goods and sandwiches. With a slight smile you picked out a cake and a sandwich and began to fish around in your jacket for money. Newt drew a black leather wallet from his pocket and payed for his own and for your supper.

Taking the food from the vendor you began to walk down the street again. As you peeled open the paper off your sandwich and put the wrapped up cake in your pocket you felt something warm brush against you hand.

Then you felt a large warm hand wrap around your own. The skin was calused and rough, yet it was comforting against your usual cold hands.

You found a bench under one of the many street lights and sat down to watch the final rays of sunlight fade into the deep blue night.

The sun fully set as you sat with Newt eating the last of your cake. Newt looked over to you as you took the last bite and smiled.

"You have icing on your nose." He chuckled.

"I don't! Do I?" You asked.

With another slight laugh, Newt reached over and poked your nose with his finger. You had to admit it was cute. If only you knew him. Then it would be different. But as it stood you were to put an end to your stupid crush. He was probably on a rebound, and you were far too invested emotionally in a man you only knew on paper.

Newt leaned forward and pecked your forehead before he stood. You nearly full body cringed. Just after you had told yourself not to you found yourself pulled back in.

"You should head home, Poppy is probably worried sick." Newt said, with a slight smile that was just stuck on his face since you had gone to get food.

"There's someone you're trying to get over, isn't there. No man can just seemingly 'fall in love' in two days." You blurted.

He nearly looked offended as he drew away from you. You had spoken your mind like you were brought up to do by your mother. Women had a voice, and they had the right to use it.

"Tina. She lives in New York." Newt muttered as he shuffled his feet nervously.

"Well as from now on, we are partners only, until further notice." You said as you also stood up.

Drawing your wand from your jacket you readied to apparate home to Poppy.

"I'm sorry. I knew I was taking it too fast, I just didn't know what else to do. I'm lonely and you were so kind." Newt said as he looked up from the ground, but avoided eye contact.

"It's fine, Scamander. I'm partially at fault for letting it happen." You said as you waved your wand and Diagon alley was whisked away in a blur of magic.

Please remember to vote on this chapter if you enjoyed it or if you think it was alright. Thank you ♥