Chapter Two

Between nightmares, Noah kicking my back, and the sounds of construction down the road, I was already awake and dressed when the alarm rang at seven in the morning.

Noah howled until I turned it off—he had always hated the sound, even before we were on our own. I didn't blame him. Some mornings, it brought back bad memories for me, too.

Whilst I was pulling my hair into a braid, Noah whimpered and pawed at the front door in the kitchen.

"I know, buddy! I'll let you out as soon as I—"

An urgent howl cut me off, followed by furious scratching against wood.

"No scratching!" I let my hair fall and scrambled out of the bedroom, praying he didn't up our monthly payments with a wood repair.

The second I opened the front door, Noah made a run for the stairs without hesitation. Patting my pockets for my keys, I hoped the neighbours already took their dogs out. The two pomeranians looked innocent enough, tiny fluff balls of cuteness and energy, but they barked nonsensically at Noah like they weren't a fraction of his size.

And somehow, the neighbours considered their dogs barking was mine and Noah's fault.

By the time the flat was locked and a knife was securely strapped to my hip, my question answered itself. When I pushed the main doors open, Noah yapped at me, covered in dirt with no sign of the pomeranians.

Shaking my head, I tugged him by the collar out of the bushes. "Classy," I snorted, pulling my earbuds from my joggers pocket. "You ready for a walk, stinky?"

His ears perked up at walk, his tail wagging.

Early morning walks were the best cure for a clouded mind, and an energetic dog. Nothing mattered, not my fears or worries. Not my past or future. It was needed after the night before, which still haunted me.

The two of us strolled through the neighbourhood for what felt like hours, with no set course or proper destination. I was almost through my entire playlist when we came to the café.

"I think Athena took a morning shift, Noah," I said, pulling one earbud out.

At the mention of her name, Noah perked up, searching our surroundings for her.

"She's at the café, dork," I laughed, waving my hand for him to follow me across the street to the café.

Athena smiled when we walked in, close-lipped and sluggish. If I didn't know her as well as I did, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Lifting an eyebrow, I leaned over the counter to examine her. The bags under her eyes said all I needed to know. "You didn't sleep much last night."

"I did!" she squeaked.

"You didn't text me."

She blushed, looking down at her feet. "I'm sorry. Gavin picked me up and I fell asleep in the car."

Noah lifted his head onto the counter, trying to reach her.

I pushed his head away, earning a muffled grunt from him, and narrowed my eyes at her. "Thank him for me. I'm glad you got back safe."

Athena's smile returned, real this time. "I will. He's been super helpful lately with all the shifts I've been picking up . . ."

"You need to take a break every now and then," I chided, reaching around to grab a water cup for Noah.

She waved her hand at me. "Breaks aren't my thing, but I will take one with you and Noah!" Athena reached across to squish his face and let him lick hers. "Hi, baby boy!"