Chapter 34

After last night's surprise, everything afterwards was 'just perfect' in my opinion. Though the whole reunion thing was really emotional for us all, it was also good. It was something we all needed, especially mom and I. There were introductions, alot of apologies for what happened years ago and the cause of this whole separation, a lot of gushing over each other's kids (me, Sanya and Selena) and catching up.

Then there were reliving of past moments and telling of memories. Which I for one, listened to quite intently and interestingly. I also heard about my other relatives back in Barbados and I just hope that we would get the chance to meet and visit them over there sometime. I noticed my grandparents didn't seemed as overbearing that much as mom described them before. They didn't seem to have any issues with what we were wearing or the makeup. Not even mom's tattoos, which Grandma was the first one to notice. Her only concern was what it was, what it meant and if it hurt. It turns out that all these years, they've been living with the guilt of blaming themselves for mom running away.

I realized that mom and uncle Marten were really close before and I felt bad knowing that they had been apart for all these years. Brenda was also really nice and funny. She seemed perfect for uncle Marten. She was a high school Biology teacher and uncle Marten was a Real estate agent. Sanya was in her final year of high school and Selena was a sophomore. Their mom taught at their school which I'm thinking must suck in some ways. No one seemed to judge the fact that I hadn't been to college and was going to be starting my new job as a bar waitress or that mom was currently unemployed but planning to start seeking employment soon.

Mom had gotten a degree in culinary arts, and that was something they seemed proud of- knowing their daughter followed their footsteps with the culinary arts.

Our dinner together was quite an experience and even after we had left the restaurant last night and returned home, we spent hours over their suite catching up some more and just bonding. It was like everyone was afraid that if we ever leave or go to sleep, we'd never see each other again or we'd wake up the next day and find out that this was all a dream. Eventually at about 1:47am, we decided that we better retired to bed and that we'd catch up again first thing in the morning.

Mom was so happy and thankful that I had done something like this for her, that she hugged and kissed me for maybe a million times for the night. I ended up crashing at her apartment instead of going back to Lucas. I just hoped that he understood why I decided to just spend the night with my mom. It was such an overwhelming and emotional night for us.

"You didn't come back here last night." I heard Lucas voice behind me in the kitchen causing me to jump as I was not expecting him.

"Oh! Yeah uhmm... sorry. Last night we sort of got back from dinner a bit late and then we... we were hanging out until after one. It was an emotional night for us, especially mom. And because it was already so late, I just stayed over. I hope you don't mind." I tried explaining.

"How long are your folks in town?" Lucas asked me instead.

"I-I don't know really. My cousins; they're still in high school so I'm figuring they'll only be here a few days." I said to him.

"Then you better start spending time catching up with them in the daytimes if you planned to, because you start working tonight-that's if you still want the job..."

"Yes, of course." I answered quickly before he could change his mind. "It's no problem, I can start tonight. Uh...but what time?"

"I'll have them rotate your shifts so you'll get off earlier and be back here. But tonight you're starting at 6. You'll get paid every fortnight, you'll have to fill out an employees form." Lucas said to me.