Chapter 1

No.

I can not go here.

I stood there starring at the large intimidating walls of Angeles Prep. My new home. They were stone and lovely, but so huge. A million times bigger than my Carolina home.

A girl came bounding up behind me. She had golden blond hair and rosy pink cheeks. She wore all pink and looked like she already was a princess.

"Hi I'm Marlee," she squealed.

"I'm America. Where are you from?" I asked.

"Kent," she laughed.

"I'm from Carolina."

"Ohooooh. Ohhhh. Your Queen Kenna's sister. I heard she's lovely," Marlee gushed.

"Yes. She is," I agreed.

"I wonder why they didn't send her to Angeles Prep. She has no training and all, she must be a wonderful person to get sent straight to Carolina palace."

"Yeah. She's wonderful."

Marlee nodded vigorously. "I've been a princess my whole life, not a good one some might add. So I was sent here. But my older brother is heir, So I'm really hoping to win Prince Maxon's hand."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Oh you don't know," she asked. "Prince Maxon looked is visiting the school. Hoping to return home with a fiancé. The next Queen of Illea. Isn't it all a girl could ever dream of?"

"Mmmm-hmmm," I mumbled.

I walked in trying to avoid Marlee. I liked the girl honestly I did. But you know, school today. Friends tomorrow.
I made my way to the head office and pushed open the grand doors.

Prince Maxon and Queen Amberley were on the other side.

"Please mom don't," Maxon whined. "You told me I was coming here for a wife, not to be enrolled here. I am a perfectly good student. What about all those lessons from Stravos and Father."

"Maxon, I'm sorry," Queen Amberley said. "But your father thinks this is what's best......and I agree. This school was made for rulers in training- like you. It could be good to go to school with people who might be on your grand council someday. These are the future Kings and Queens of the Provinces."

"Fine," The prince said sadly. He went and stood by the front desk, probably to check in.

"Hello dear," Queen Amberley said to me when she got to the door. "Please make sure he doesn't pull some escape plan, sweetie."

With that she was out the door.

I went to stand behind Maxon and get my information. I looked around at all the people around me and noticed how bland I looked. They wore dresses and suits, I wore fancy skinny jeans and a yellow blouse. I needed to change.

"We are loading your information your majesty," the front desk lady was saying. "You wore an unexpected student and we are still gathering your info. You can sit over there."

Maxon went and sat down in a really Comfy looking chair.

"Name and province please," Mrs. Front desk lady asked.

"America Singer of Carolina," I replied.

"Oh yes. The new queens sister," she laughed. "We're glad to have you here. So here is all the papers you will need." She handed me a tiny stack of papers. "Here is your ID bracelet." ID bracelet. It was made out of expensive beads and had a gold pin with my name on the front and a code scanner on the back. What happened to old fashion ID cards. "And your room number is G11 on floor 2. Here is a map of the school. Have a nice day."

I walked away from the desk staring wide eyed at the stack of papers. And of course being me I tripped on nothing, but was steadied by strong arms. I looked up to see Prince Maxon, paper in hands and an ID cuff link in his wrist.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yes. Just very clumsy."

"May I escort you to your room," he asked.

I nodded. "Of course your majesty. G11."

"Please call me Maxon," he said and extended his arm for me. I took it and he led me out of the room. It was silent for a moment and I decided to break it. I'm not intimidated by him so why should I wait for him to speak.

"So........ " I began. "Not a big fan of Angeles Prep."

"It's not that," he chuckled.

I frowned. "You think your too good for the school."

"Wrong again your highness in training," he laughed. "I have a life back at the palace. I just wasn't prepared to change that."

"I understand. My sister just married the king of Carolina and all of a sudden I was a princess. In Not even a week I was sent here. I wasn't ready for such a big change," I sighed.

"You win," he laughed. "I can't imagine."

I smiled victoriously. "I always win."

Maxon looked around like he was some sort of spy. "Don't tell anyone, but I had my French bulldog Villi sent here from the kingdom. I have permission of course, but I have to keep her under control. And I think that you would be the perfect women for the job."

I laughed. "What are friends for?"

"I didn't realize we were friends," he smirked.

I blushed. "Well of course. Isn't every man that you've technically known your whole life, but only met 20 minutes ago your friend."

He smiled. "Oh how dumb of me. I have so many friends that I've met that way."

"Good," I laughed. "Wouldn't want to seem weird."

"Well of course not," he stopped. "This is your stop."

"And where is yours?" I asked.

"On the teachers floor," he sighed. "I've always had a room for when I stay here up there. Students aren't allowed, but if you ever need me give the guard this pass." He handed me a yellow piece of paper. "And you will be let in."

"Well thank you," I giggled. "Whenever you need a dog sitter bring her by."

"I will."

I opened my door

I nodded. "Good afternoon Maxon."

"Good afternoon...." he cut himself off. "Um.......I still don't know your name."

I laughed. "That did never make it into the conversation. I'm America. America  Singer."

"Well good afternoon Princess America," he said and shut my door.