Chapter 9 ~ Off the Line

                “Relax, Jazzy,” I hissed as I lifted the squirming cat into Chase’s locker. Her claws were hooked into my hands and it took me five painful minutes to unlatch her from my skin. She stared at me with big yellow-marble eyes as I closed Chase’s locker, noting that there were vents so that the cat could breath.

                “Neat cat. Where’d you find her?” Amber asked me as we slowly began retreating from the locker. I glanced quickly up at the clock and felt the tension grip me when I noticed that the doors would be opening in seven minutes. I can’t wait to see Chase’s face when he opens his locker only to be attacked by a cat.

                “In the dumpster down the street from my apartment,” I replied, adjusting my backpack on my shoulder. Stupid cat shredded my English homework and left behind the stink of dumpster cat in my bag. Hopefully, it was worth it.

***

"Come on, KC!" Danica moaned. "You never told us what happened on Friday!" She shuffled her chair closer to mine, Maggie boxing me in on the other side, both of them waiting for me to fess up everything that happened at Abby's party Saterday evening.

"Maybe because there's nothing to tell," I shrugged, taking a bite of my ham and cheese sandwich. Maggie groaned while Danica banged her head against the table, nearly spilling her milk.

"You were with Justin somewhere for two whole hours! What the hell were you guys doing?" Maggie pleaded to know. I leaned back in my chair comfortably, eating away at my sandwich ignorantly.

"If you're implying Justin and I got cozy together right after we saw each other for about ten minutes in four years then you're sorely mistaken," I rolled my eyes, glancing up at both the antsy and irritated girls.

"So you guys did nothing?" Maggie pressed, digging for something intense. I groaned, letting my head hang in frustration. It's like they were craving for something hot to happen. Well, I certainly wasn’t.

"We talked, like actual human beings, yeah," I strained, trying to get my words through their thick brains.

"But that's the thing!" Danica practically yelled in my ear, causing me to drop my sandwich on the floor. I stared down at it longingly, letting my shoulders drop.

"You owe me a new sandwich," I stated, continuing to stare down at my lost lunch. Well, it was delicious while it lasted.

"My point is, KC," Danica continued. "You're not any human being! You're a freakin' werewolf! And we all know how intimate our wolf instincts are," Danica sang, Maggie raising her eyebrows at me.

"Why are y'all such a pain in my arse," I growled, banging my head on the table. Yeah, I was a werewolf, I'm aware. Yipee. And any day now I was bound to find my restricted "mate". More like being chained to a husband for decades to come.