VI. Specifics on Role Play Combat

I felt this deserved its own special part of the book, as so many people do Combat Role Play.

So you've given your character all that it needs to be successful, without being a Mary/Gary Sue, and now you want to have it clash with a rival or foe or whatever have you. Great! This is where you get to show off all your time thinking and creativity. What fun!

But this is where things get the hardest they'll ever be. You have to use your skill of your character to beat the skill of the other character, but you have to escape doing something called God-Modding. Oh boy, more rules, right? Well this is how one can determine who is better than the other, because if there weren't rules, nothing would make sense.

Styles of Role Play Combat:
1. Melee combat
2. Ranged combat
Simple right? Well just like the umbrella of "Role Play", Combat Role Play has its own umbrella too. 

1. Melee combat is where you get up close and punch, kick, slash, and otherwise hit your opponent. It's mostly based around the physical harm to someone's body by inflicting it directly to them. Now, this does not mean you cannot do things like have your sword give off a flame or inflict magicl properties onto the opponent, but this just means you deliver it through a physical way. 

2. Ranged combat is just that. You're fighting at a range, trying to keep your opponent away from getting close to you to melee. This can be done with bows and arrows, throwing knives, guns, or even anything magic or ability related that does not involve having to deliver it up close with a hit. This sounds like it would be the most effective, however typically, if your character is fighting from a range, then if the person gets close you may not be as effective. That's not to say your character is better at melee than range, but if you're a master of both, remember, you're making yourself a Mary/Gary Sue.

So you're fighting with your opponent, and then they do something that seems completely impossible/unfair. Is it god-modding?