Ch•5- Vigilante

One Month after the Lagos Incident.

I strolled down the grey hallway at headquarters, my hands hung loosely in my sweat pants. A black cardigan covered over my shoulders. This was the living area of the headquarters. My Father and I usually bounce back and fourth from Stark Tower, but I spend most of my time here.

I prefer this place. The flat land and wooded forest that surrounds us is way more enjoyable than a city. Not that I dislike the city, but it's always good to get away.

Natasha Romanoff turned the corner, giving me a small nod in greeting. I gave a small smile back, but it was obviously forced. She looked the same. Her hair had grown out since last year. It was more straight now, and the color wasn't much of a bright red anymore.

"You look kinda glum, what's up?" She asked, stopping me in the middle of the hallway. Her hand rested on my shoulder. God she can always see right through me.

I shrugged, my hands sinking deeper into my pockets "You're a spy, I figured you already know these things"

"I'm Russian, not a mind reader" she leaned her arm against the wall "But anyway, aren't you the one who figured out that I was a spy when you were only ten?" she reminded, raising her finger. I looked away from her, wishing for another smile but it didn't show on my face "Say something" she urged "You've been quiet for the past few weeks, it's a bit strange"

"I just..." I continued to walk down the hallway to my room which was the last door on the left "I just have nothing to say, that's all"

"Jessi, you never stop talking. It's part of your youthfulness"

"Well, I can't be a kid forever" I stopped in front of my door, not walking in quite yet. My hand was on the handle.

Natasha shook her head, a small smirked appeared on her lips "You've got two years to be a kid, kid, enjoy it while it lasts"

I twisted the door handle and pushed it open "Wait" Natasha stopped me, placing her hand on my shoulder to keep me back "I know that you're discouraged about Wanda, about what happened in Lagos"

        "The whole world is pissed at the Avengers" I told her the obvious. It seems to be all over Tv stations no matter how many channels I flip through "It wasn't suppose to be like this-"

       "-You were suppose to be the daughter of a flower shop worker" Natasha put her finger on my shoulder, cutting me off "I was suppose to be an assassin, and you're father... he's suppose to be narcissistic prick, although I feel that he has been quite consistent with that throughout his life" she admitted "Nothing is ever truly as it's suppose to be, Jessi. We just need to learn to adapt, and grow along with it"

                                        ***

I sat down on my bed, feeling the mattress bounce for a second. The clock ticked slowly on the wall. It reminded me of home back in Malibu. The gentle beaches and warm wind of summer. Back in a time where I felt most happy, the most secure. Of course that's not home anymore. As like Natasha said, it wasn't suppose to be. Then... what is my home suppose to be? What am I suppose to become?

  A small knocked sounded from my bedroom door. Was it Natasha again? I looked up from the floor and called.

"Come in!"

My Aunt.

She smiled kindly, walking in and leaving the door open behind her. I sat up in my bed, straightening out my torso "Hey Sharon" I nodded, starting to remove my tennis shoes. I fiddled with the laces before actually tugging them off.