Two: Expect The Unexpected

~Nikki~

December 25th, 2011

I dreamed about Chandler last night. Not surprising since he’s sleeping in the room next to mine. That’s right. The guy I’m in love with is sleeping in the same house, on the same floor, practically in the same room as me. And that last part, isn’t an exaggeration. The walls in this house are so thin, you can practically hear the person in the next room breathing.

I had to think about him and hear his voice for hours. And the worst part? He was on the phone with his British girlfriend last night. ALL NIGHT. It nearly killed me hearing him say how much he loved her. By 3am, I was begging for death. It took me thirty minutes to pass out from crying. Stupid, I know. But can you really blame me?

“Nikki?” that was my Mom’s worried voice snapping me back into reality. Her concerned eyes searched my face for signs of life as she laid her hand on mine. My eyes were probably glazing over by now. I‘ve barely moved since I sat down. “You’ve barely touched your breakfast, Honey. Are you alright?”

Out of the comer of my eye, I saw Chandler sit down in the chair across from me. I glanced at him for only a second, but it was long enough for him to notice. His hazel eyes met mine and his lips pulled into that beautiful smile that only Chandler can make. It broke my heart. Again. “I’m fine.” I pushed myself away from the table, grabbing my plate as I walked toward the kitchen. “I’m not hungry. Anymore.” I whispered that last part to myself. 

“She hates me.” I heard Chandler mumble to Nick I’m guessing. Smart boy, Chandler. I do hate you. I hate you because I love you. You left, and didn’t even bother calling, or even sending a letter. I hate you because you broke my heart and you’ll never know. I hate you because you left me here, in this house, with all the memories of your laugh, your smile, your stupid gorgeous face. I hate you, Chandler Alexander. So how do I love you at the same time?

Behind me, I heard a phone begin to buzz. I turned around, searching for it. “Chandler’s.” I mumbled to myself, rolling my eyes. The caller ID said ‘Clair Elise Edwards’. I sighed. That’s the name he was saying last night. “Chandler! Your phone is ringing!”

“Answer it for me, please!” he yelled back.

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever.” I picked up the phone, staring at it for a moment. What would she say if I answered it? Who would she think I was? “Hello?”

“Uhm, ello. This is Clair.” her British accent flew through the phone and into my ears. She sounds like she’s pretty. A pretty British girl. No wonder she’s with Chandler. And, judging by last night’s phone call, they’re very happy together. Good for them. Not the sarcasm there.

“I know. Caller ID.” I laughed nervously, trying to sound like I wasn’t dying inside.

She was silent for a moment. “May I ask who I’m speaking with?”

“This is Nikki. Chandler is eating at the moment, I’ll tel--”

She cut me off. “Nikki…Nicole Clark, yes?”

My eyes widened. How does she know who I am? “Ah, yeah…that’s me.”

“Well,” she chuckled. “Happy Christmas, Nicole.”

I frowned at the phone. I’m so confused right now. “Merry Christmas, Clair.”

“Thank you. Darling, could you tell Chandler to phone me back later please? We need to have a chat.” she said in a sweet voice. This overly friendly tone she’s using is freaking me out a little…

“Uh, sure.”

I heard her chuckle again. “Thank you, Nicole. It was lovely speaking with you. Goodbye.”

She hung up before I could answer. “You too…” I said to myself as I clicked the end button. His phone eminently went back his home screen. I noticed his wallpaper was a photo of him and Clair…kissing. She is pretty. Extremely pretty. Why am I not surprised? Of course Chandler would date a beautiful girl from England. I should have seen it coming. I sighed, the pain rushing to my heart. But it stopped when I noticed his screen dim, his screensaver popping up. It was a picture of me.

“Who called?” Chandler ask, leaning on the counter in front of me. I didn’t even see him walk into the kitchen. Why is this boy so sneaky?

“Clair.” I mumbled, trying not to sound upset. Surprisingly enough, it actually worked. “She’s pretty.”

He lips pulled into the perfect smile, breaking my heart for the second time in ten minutes. Stupid Chandler. Why are you do gorgeous? “She’s perfect, huh?”

“Yeah.” I nodded weakly, handing him his phone as I walked out of the kitchen. I need to be alone right now. I can’t let anyone see me break into pieces. Defiantly not Chandler. “She’s perfect.” and I’m not.

----

I decided to open my gifts, alone. After everyone decided to go out. I really didn’t feel like looking at Chandler’s face for an hour or two while everyone opened gifts. Honestly, I didn’t feel like looking at anyone. I haven’t been feeling well since this morning.

Lie.

I haven’t been feeling well since Chandler showed up at our door. I can’t believe my Mother let him back into this house like everything is okay. I can’t believe that he actually had the nerve to come back. After two years of not hearing from him, I thought he was gone forever. I was so wrong.

I hugged a pillow into my chest, letting the tears fall from my eyes. I haven’t cried this much in three years. Actually, I haven’t cried in three years. And then, what? Chandler comes back and opens the goddamn flood gates.

“Nikki?”

I sighed, pushing my face into the pillow, trying to hide it. Of course Chandler would decide to come down here when I start crying. Just freaking lovely.

“What are you doing?” he laughed, sitting down next to me. I didn’t response. I just sat there. I could feel his eyes searching my statue, probably trying to figure out why I was sitting here like this. Typical Chandler. He clearly hasn’t changed that much. “Nikki, are you alright?”

I quickly stood up when I felt his hand brush my against my arm. I began to walk toward the staircase, leaving him sitting by the Christmas tree. “I’m fine.” More lies. I’m not fine. I’m totally not fine. I’m breaking into a million pieces every time I see your face, Chandler. Every single time you smile at me, my heart breaks a little more. And the worst part? I love you. And you love this ’Clair’ girl. So no. I’m not ‘alright’. But I’ll never tell you that. “Jeez,” I thought to myself. “I really have to stop talking to myself.”

I hear him on the stairs behind me, probably chasing me up the stairs. “Nikki!” he yelled up the stairs as if the would stop me.

“Let me alone, Chandler!” I yelled at him, jerking my arm out of his hand when he grabbed it.

He sighed. “Nicole, please. Just talk to me.”

“Why should I?”

“Because, you used to treat me like family. Now you’re acting like I’m a stranger.” he gave me a pleading look. One that said the way I‘m acting is hurting him. I should feel bad, but I don’t. He’ll never know the pain I’m feeling.

“Did you honestly think, after five years of not hearing from you, you can just waltz in here and everything will go back to normal?”  I let out a bitter laugh. “England clearly screwed with your head.”

He sighed. “I am so sorry I left, Nikki.”

“I’m not.” I shook my head, walking backwards into my room. “I’m just sorry you came back.” I said, giving him a tried look before closing the door in his face. The second it was shut, I leaned against the wall, sliding to the floor as I hugged my knees into my chest. I hate him for coming back. And I hate him even more because I know he’s going to leave again. And when that happens…I don’t know if my heart will make it.

----

When my Mom called me down for dinner, it took everything I had to drag myself off the bed and down the stairs. And now I have to sit next to Chandler for an hour while everyone eats. Me? No. I'm just sitting here, staring at my plate, thinking of ways to get out of this house.

Can’t go to Misty’, she’s still out of town. Can’t go to Collin’s, he’s out of town too. And I don’t feel like being bothered with anyone else. So, until someone comes home, I have nothing to do. Even then, I still have to see him when I come home. So, until Chandler decides to go home, I’m stuck in my personal hell.

“Nikki!” my Mom yelled, waving her hand in front of my face. “Did you hear me?”

When I snapped back into reality, my Mother, Nick and Chandler were staring at me with excited eyes. Well…Nick actually looked slightly annoyed. Probably because I wasn’t paying attention to what ever my Mother was saying. Must have been important. “Sorry, no.”

She shook her head, smiling. “Chandler is moving in with us.”

--------------------------------
Author’s Note: Oh…snap. What do you think is going to happen? :o

Until next time, vomment and fan, my dears! Love you for reading! :D

-Lexi Rain<3