Chapter Forty-Four: Bickering Siblings

"Weather Witch," Seth spat the words like bile as he discards his top layer of clothes on the ground like they were filled with snakes and spiders that were about to jump out at him. Leaving him sitting there shivering in only a pair of pants and a sleeveless shirt. "A fucking Queen has more than usual intelligence and has conveniently taken over a host who can play with the weather and detected us."

"No shit, Sherlock," Oz muttered.

"Hey, it's partly your fault."

"How was I supposed to know that the Queen had taken a Tower without going over there to check?" His tone changes. "Get something else on, you idiot."

"I'm getting there."

"No you ain't. You're sitting there and going to sleep. Get a blanket or something before we have more issues."

"Yeah, yeah..." but he didn't show any sign of moving. Instead Fenir goes to a storage locker above Seth's seat and chucks down two thick blankets at him. Seth manages to get them over himself, his eyes beginning to shut.

"Don't you dare go to sleep just yet." Oz growls at him. "I'm cranking up the heat. On your feet, get your blood moving again. X, how we doing?"

"It...cannot focus this high up. Its reach isn't strong in the air. But it learnt momentum could help but it was not enough." He let go of my ears, standing as his fingers brush through my hair, leaving a tingling feeling through my scalp. "It almost saw Kae..."

And I'm guessing that would be bad.

"And he could probably take it down like the others." Fenir voiced.

Both Seth and X shakes their heads but X responded first. "This is an old Queen. It is smart and has had time to establish many colonies...the corruption may overwhelm Kae. Too many voices...too many will drown."

"Five, mate. That's just being mean and unnecessary," Seth shivers. "There was nothing in Elysia to start with. Why risk it now?"

Fenir frowns, discarding the conversation entirely.

Nice to know my opinion matters.

'Darkness would consume Dreamer quickly,' Lady interjects. 'Dreamer saw only a little of what was in the deep.' The middle of the blizzard. Just thinking about it made me feel the cold choking me again. 'Dreamer needs to remain Dreamer for a little longer. Dreamer not ready...'

Thanks Mother. I wasn't going to say I was going to stay put and face it head on.

She whips me with her tail, 'Cheeky.'

"Do you have the SD?" Seth voices out at Oz. That reminded me that the note was still in my hand and I had crumpled it again. Looking down at it, I try to smooth out the paper as best I could as the words try to consume me, my eyes sting as I try to stop myself from falling in.

"Right here," he pats a chest pocket. "The minute we get back to something a bit more powerful, I'll whip it through the systems."

Seth nods, leaning back. "My heart rate is back in the normal range now...I'm going to sleep for a while."

"Oi, oi. Drink something hot first dumb-fuck."

"It's fine doofus, I'm not in critical hypothermia," Seth mutters sleepily.

"You missed that by the skin of your teeth on that one."

"How was I supposed to know..." he didn't finish his sentence as I could hear his breathing become regulated.