Chapter 20

Devin stared at Jean, wide-eyed, for the longest time possible. She wasn't looking back but knew she was being watched. Devin's hands began to sweat slightly as she glanced back at the brothers then back to Jean. Jean was looking at one of the tanks with her hands linked behind her back, pretending that what she just said wasn't a big deal. Devin gulped slightly and opened her mouth. "You knew?" She asked, shocked. Jean glanced to the side at her with a small smile.

"Of course I knew."

"How?"

"Well for starters, I read your mind." Devin glared at her. "I did it when we were in the common room and we all heard Alex say 'I love you' for the first time out loud. You were thinking about how long it was going to last for, the pretending," she explained.

"But you didn't say anything."

"I wanted to see where it was going." She shrugged. "Besides I wanted you two to actually get together from the moment I met you both. I wasn't lying when I said I thought you two were already dating, but when I realised that you weren't, this whole thing made me excited to see where it was going to go."

"Wait, that was when we first brought Scott to the school."

"Yup."

"Why didn't you say anything to Scott?"

"He was so smug and sure that it wasn't real, I kinda wanted him to suffer. It only seemed fair after the blind date he set Alex up on." She did have a point. "Besides I knew he liked you from the beginning. I didn't have to read his mind to see how much he loved you. No one needs to be a mind reader to be able to see how desperately in love he was. It was almost painful to see that you couldn't see it."

"Was I the only one who didn't know?"

"Scott didn't know."

"Great, I'm just as smart as the little boy." Jean laughed at her.

"Why are you just as smart as me?" Scott came up next to them, making Devin jump. "Whoa there, jitters, I think you've had too much coffee."

"That's a lie," Devin responded.

"So, why are you just as smart as me?"

"No reason." Jean smiled. "But the fish competition was kinda a give-away," she told him with a sly smile.

"Alex started it!"

"Well, you're not wrong." Alex shrugged.

-

Soon enough Jean had managed to check off majority of the list of things to do. Although she left the theatre, coffee shop and park for the next day. Jean had almost brought out the entire book store, while Devin brought a couple of books and a few records from the record store. She also made plans for them both for the weekend.

It was going to be a long week.

Scott and Jean were walking in front, Scott holding most of her bags, while Alex and Devin were walking behind. Alex had grabbed her hand, warming it up with a small smirk on his face.

"Jean knew." Devin kept looking ahead.

"What?"

"She knew, the entire time."

"She didn't say anything..."

"Seems we had a fan."

"A fan?"

"She wanted us together since we brought Scott to the school."

"For that long?"

"Apparently."