Dancing the Night Away Part 2

A month later Keeley and Nicky stood in the parking lot of Java Hut surveying everything they'd accomplished. There were tents for registration, sitting areas, booths for different vendors, and even a row of food trucks. But the main attraction was the giant dance floor in the middle. It was big enough to host the whole town.

"We did good, partner," Nicky commented.

"Not bad for a couple of high school students."

"When's the radio DJ showing up?"

Keeley checked her clipboard. "In an hour. He said it won't take long to set up the equipment." They were lucky to get a local radio station to sponsor the event for free.

Nicky nodded. "I'm going to check in with the volunteers. Make sure they have everything. You good here?"

"Yeah. I've got everything covered." After Nicky left, Keeley saw Talon at one of the tables with his head buried in his arms. When she first told him about the fundraiser he was excited but that quickly ended when he realized he would be her dance partner.

Walking over, she poked his shoulder. "You awake?"

"It's five in the morning," he groused.

"So that's a yes?"

Groaning, he pulled the hood of his sweatshirt over his head.

Keeley knew the only reason he was up this early on a Saturday was because of her. Leaning over, Keeley wrapped her arms around him, her front plastered to his back. "Thanks for helping me," she whispered. He'd been here since four o'clock helping set everything up. He'd also enlisted his football buddies to help, which was incredibly sweet. Of course, Keeley's twin brother, Zach, hadn't thought so.

"They're trying to scope out the competition!" Zach insisted the night before.

It was a ridiculous statement-one made from the petty rivalry that still existed between the two. Zach and Talon had taken great strides to be civil to each other but they still couldn't get over their past. Normally, she would have tried to make some peace, but in this instance, their competitiveness was her advantage.

All month long she'd been egging them on, making little comments about how many football players from the opposite team had signed up. Was it underhanded and dirty? Absolutely. But she had no regrets. Collectively, the two football teams had already raised over half of the goal and their rivalry was stirring up interest from the rest of the students.

Talon grabbed her hands and pulled them tight around him. Then he turned his head and gave her a deep kiss. "You're lucky you're so adorable. I wouldn't get up this early for anyone but you."

She rested her chin on his shoulder. "Want me to get you something to eat? I think I can scrounge up a pack of Peeps." She'd stopped by the store last night and bought a bag worth.

"A little later. I'm too comfy," he said, nuzzling her hair. They stayed wrapped in each other's arms for a few moments, shutting out the people around them. "I've missed you," Talon murmured.

"Me too." Her time had been limited ever since she started organizing the event. "What do you say to you, me, and a date on the pier Monday night?"

"Why not tomorrow?" he asked.

"I don't know about you but I'm going to be passed out on my bed tomorrow. I have no plans to get up."

"True," he grunted. "Fine. Monday night. You. Me."

Keeley groaned when someone called her name. Tightening her arms around Talon, she said, "Maybe if I don't respond they'll go find Nicky."

"I don't think that's how it works. And you know if Nicky finds you slacking she'll just find a way to get back at you. Probably by butting in on our date."

Keeley sighed. "Fine. I'll be responsible."

Talon kissed her cheek. "Go be awesome." Someone called out Talon's name and this time it was his turn to groan. "Probably want me to help set up more tables. I swear, football practice has nothing on this."

"Aw poor boyfriend," Keeley teased. "Although I don't see Zach complaining..."

Talon's head shot up as he looked around. "Is he doing my job?"

Keeley innocently shrugged, holding back a smile as he stood up and marched over to the tents. "Guys," she murmured, watching Talon and Zach compete over who could set up the tables fastest. "When would they learn?"