Chapter 28

Hey guys! So I have a REALLY long chapter today, feel free to take breaks in between reading it, but I didn't want to split it up. It all belongs in the same chapter, I think! I hope you'll enjoy it. Thanks for reading! WARNING: VIOLENCE AHEAD!

***

Draco's POV -

As soon as I hear the noise, a blast of ice cold adrenaline shoots through my veins, paralyzing me with a fear that I didn't know existed as silence surrounds my mother and I.

Then, another scream. The same tortured sound, and finally, my feet begin to move.

I race down the hallways of the manor, my heart feeling as if it's about to explode.

Another scream.

"JENNIFER!" I yell, the throaty noise escaping my mouth with the same force that vomit would.

I stumble around, my eyes stinging with terror as I try to follow her cries of pain, tracking it to a single place.

Another scream sounds, and this time, I can tell it's coming from the basement.

I lurch through the living room and towards the lower stairs, my heart encompassed by fear as I yell out for her again.

I can tell I'm getting closer as I trip down the stairwell, my trembling hands gripping the walls to prevent myself from falling. I feel as if my knees are close to buckling when I hear short sobs drawn out after a pain stricken shriek that makes my skin crawl.

It seems like I'm living my worst nightmare.

I fall down onto the landing of the lower level of the manor, waiting for another sound, another sign, but it's silent. Am I hallucinating?

Just then, a terrible cry emitting from a door on my left that makes me want to plug my ears, or even claw them off, sounds from down the long hall, confirming my theories to be false.

I race down the hall as fast as my legs will carry me. My knees feel like bags of water, like they'll give in any second.

When I reach the door, not able to tell if my heart is pumping insanely fast or if it has completely stopped altogether, I grasp the doorknob, jiggling it and yanking it back and forth until the entire door is trembling.

"C'mon." I mutter to myself with a quivering voice, praying that this damned door will just open the hell up. But it stays sealed shut.

It's locked.

I swear loudly, barely able to touch the knob with my hands shaking so terribly.

Suddenly, an additional yelp of pain sounds from within the door, making me wince. It's followed by an inhumane and high pitched laugh that definitely does not sound like it's coming from Jennifer.

"JENNIFER!" I bellow, half sobbing as I pound the door with my fists, unable to break through. I can no longer control myself. I have nothing left to do, no ideas to put to use, other than to bang on this door and hope it falls right over.

Jennifer's tortured screams echo off of the walls, and I can hear another death eater, a male, screaming as well, but his words are inaudible over my own yells.

"JENNIFER - JENNIFER!" I wail, unable to control anything that comes out of my mouth or anything I do. I pound my fist against the door, but it doesn't budge. They must've put a charm on it.