Two

Newt grabbed my arm and dragged me out the back door of the bar. I decided to say something about his scarf. "So, I'm guessing you went to the magic school here in England?"

"Hogwarts," Newt said, wheeling us to face a brick wall. "I was a Hufflepuff."

"Are Hufflepuffs like, loyal and true and kind? Because that's what Pukwudgies are at Ilvermorny, and you're a total Pukwudgie."

Newt smiled to himself and pulled out his wand. "Yes, that's a Hufflepuff. What were you?"

"A Thunderbird. Cunning, ambitious, adventurous."

Newt paused. "Sounds like a Slytherin. You don't seem Slytherin to me."

"Well, I never fit in at that place anyway, so it doesn't matter," I said adamantly. Glancing at me for a moment, Newt tapped the bricks with his wand, and they expanded sideways to make a doorway. "After you, then," he said, picking up his briefcase. I stepped through the archway, looking at the bustling bazaar before me.

A shop called Ollivander's was selling wands, a man named Florence was peddling ice cream outside of a cauldron shop, and there was a place called- Eeylop's Owl Emporium. I cut straight for it, Newt following in my wake. I threw open the door of the shop. It was dark, filled with the sound of rustling feathers and clicking beaks. The sounds stopped, leaving me only with being watched with jewel bright eyes.

Hello, I said.

None of the owls spoke, but after a moment, one said, You... can talk to us?

Yes, I told them, a beam stretching across my face. Yes, I understand you, and you understand me!

Is this magic? One owl wondered aloud.

I shook my head. Not magic, I informed. Just how I've always been. I've never spoken to more than one animal before, though.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Hazel?" Newt asked hesitantly. "What's going on?"

"I'm just talking to them," I said. Then I realized what I'd said and clapped my hand over my mouth. Oops, I said to the owls.

Oops is right, a bird responded.

Newt grabbed my wrist. "Come with me," he said, leading me through the crowded alley to a deserted little shop. He went through the empty rooms to a back room where he set his briefcase on the floor and looked at me full on. "You can talk to creatures." It wasn't a question.

"Yeah, and?" I asked, growing defensive about it. Newt raked a hand through his hair. "No, no, nothing's wrong! This is brilliant! When did it start?"

"I've always had it," I shrugged. "It's not a big deal."

"It- what- it's a huge deal!" Newt exclaimed. "I- Hazel, I'm a magizoologist. This is an incredible discovery. Now, I'm going to open this briefcase, and we're going to climb inside of it."

"Are you nuts?"

"Am I mad? A little."

He knelt and unlatched the clasps. He lowered himself into the case and grinned up at me. "You coming?"

With uncertain steps, I followed him into the case. It clicked shut over us.

My eyes grew wide as I looked around the impossibly infinite interior. There... there was everything. I walked through the shed and knelt in the desert biome.

"You had a thunderbird here," I said to Newt. He nodded sadly. "Frank. Released him just a bit ago. He's all right."

I opened my mind and shouted to the animals. Hello! My name is Hazel! Can you hear me?

Instantly, I heard a few hesitant whats? Newt was standing by a tree with a few creatures I recognized- bowtruckles. I walked over to him. Newt was holding a bowtruckle, and the creature inched towards me over Newt's arm. You hear me? It asked. Its voice was like a small child's.

Yes, I told him. What's your name?

In my tribe, I'm called- he made a noise like wood being snapped -but Newt calls me Pickett. I like Newt better than my tribe.

Shame on you! Another bowtruckle cried. Pickett blew a raspberry at them. You love Newt too!

Newt was watching me with more fascination than the awe I had watching the bowtruckle. I held out my hand to Pickett, and he hesitantly crawled onto my palm. Newt's jaw dropped. "He never does that," Newt breathed.

I like her, Pickett yelled at Newt. She understands me.

"He says he likes me because I can understand him," I told Newt. Listening to Pickett's add on, I continued, "Also because my trench coat is prettier than yours."

Newt feigned shock. "The little traitor!"

Pickett giggled in my ear.

Newt gradually took me around the case, introducing me to each creature and excitedly asking me what they said. When we got to the mooncalves, I noticed a wintery inclosure. "What's in here?" I asked, walking towards it and pushing the curtain aside.

"I'd rather you didn't-" Newt said, but it was too late.

"An obscurial," I breathed. "Where did you get it?"

"That's not the matter. Can you hear what it says?"

"I can try."

Hello? I asked gingerly. Can you hear me?

A raspy, quiet voice scraped against my mind. I can hear you, Hazel Evelyn Kirton. What is it you seek?

Eyes wide, I looked back at Newt. "What do I seek?"

Newt stepped up to be next to me, quaking in excitement. "Ask why it's here," he requested.

I can hear you, Newton Artemis Fido Scamander. And I am here because you wouldn't let me die.

"It can hear you, and it's here because you wouldn't let it die," I relayed. "Tell you what, just ask it what you need, and I'll tell you what it says." I looked back to black pulsating form. Is that all right with you?

Proceed.

"How do you form?"

You know this.

"Do you have a name?"

Wisely.

"What do you do?"

For humans? Nothing unless they do something for me. However, there is something that I want from you.

"And what would that be, Wisely?"

Hazel Evelyn Kirton, extended your hand.

I looked at Newt. "He told me to stick my hand out."

It, Wisely corrected. My kind do not bind themselves to genders as the rest of you tend to do.

Silently, I acknowledged him. Newt was still thinking it over. "I don't want you to get hurt," he admonished. "I mean-"

"I'm going to," I told him. Handing Pickett back to Newt, I turned back to Wisely and extended my wand arm. Do whatever it is you're going to do.

The obscurial's black depths convulsed, then formed spikes and swooped towards me, stabbing me through the abdomen and passing through me. My senses were snatched from my body before my lifeless form hit the ground, but not fast enough to make me miss Newt cry, "Hazel!"