Chapter XXI - How to Stay Out of The Spotlight

"Where did you go?" asks mom worriedly as soon as I climb in through my window. She must be worried sick. The smell of brownies and chocolate chip cookies waft strongly through the air. Mom bakes when she's stressed. So, she must've been really stressed.

"I'm sorry mom. I just needed to go for a run," I explain, which isn't a complete lie. 

I did go for a run, but not in my wolf form. Not fully in my human form either. It's almost somewhere in between wolf form and human form. I was running on two legs, instead of on all fours. It left my hands free to fling myself upwards and grab onto trees. I felt like I was flying. I was so fast, the border patrols didn't even sense me up there. I was moving so fast that I think I might have reached the Canadian borders in such a short time. It's kinda weird, but I loved it! I felt so powerful and free like nothing can touch me. 

I don't know what is happening to me, but selfishly I want to keep it to myself. Besides, telling mom about it would probably add more to her stress.

"It must be all that stress....it's good that you clear your head off by going for a run."says mom smiling in relief. "Your friends are waiting for you downstairs, by the way."

Reese and Penny are sitting in our kitchen, busy shoving mom's chocolate chip cookies and brownies into their mouths.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"Well, it's good to see you too!" scoffs Penny. "This is an intervention." she announces seriously. It's hard to take her seriously when she's talking with her mouth full of cookies, though.

Reese rolls her eyes. "It's not an intervention, Penny," she says. "We want to know what's going on with you. You've been acting weird and you haven't been answering our calls or our texts."

I grab a few cookies and some still warm pieces of brownies into a plate before going up to my room. Boy, I'm hungry!

"What aren't you telling us?" asks Penny as she and Reese follows me up to my room.

I close the door and the three of us sit on my bed.

"So...are you going to tell us what's happening? Or don't you trust us?" asks Reese, looking hurt.

"It's not that I don't trust you. I just don't want you two to be worried. I always end up in trouble...one way or another. Aren't you tired of it? Don't you just want to live a peaceful life?" I ask them.

"I love living in your drama, Genesis. I crave it. I yearn for it. I live for it. I need your drama to entertain my boring existence," yells Penny. The three of us go quiet for a second before we simultaneously burst out laughing uncontrollably.

I laugh so hard, I have tears in my eyes. I'm actually very glad that my friends are here. I'd probably be driving myself nuts thinking about what's going on right now if I were by myself.

So I tell them everything. Well, almost everything. I tell them about the dinner at Alpha Carrington's, about dad wanting to move away, about the party that's about to happen in three days. I also tell them about Constantine.

"You and Constantine??? A lycan?" shriek Penny.

"Shhh.." I shush her, worried if mom could hear us.

"So...you and Constantine, huh? A lycan." repeats Reese in disbelieve.

"Wow, I didn't see that one coming," says Penny looking dazed.

I can't believe my friends! Of all the things I just told them, that's the only thing that they heard? 

"But guys, what about Alpha Carrington's plan to have me mated to Logan soon? The announcement is in three days!" I'm freaking out a bit.