ten

a/n happy holidays, friends !!!

--

by nine-forty at night, michael was curled up on the couch where matthew and mazie had spent over two hours watching lazy town, holding his phone up as he facetimed ashton. they had been facetiming for over an hour, talking about nothing in particular. it was more of a way for neither of them to be alone.

michael was watching his phone screen as ashton was scrambling to rewrite his notes from class. he occasionally muttered about how he didn't want to fail this class or let calum down, and michael just nodded along, not wanting ashton to think he wasn't paying attention. he was actually on the verge of falling asleep, so he was thankful that ashton was facetiming him to keep him awake. the last thing michael wanted was for luke to come home to him fast asleep on the couch.

"ash, what do you have planned for saturday?" michael asked with a little kitten yawn, using his free hand to cover it up. ashton's bright hazel eyes briefly flickered to his phone screen, his gaze lingering on michael for a second before he looked back down to his notes.

"i dunno. calum said he wanted to have a study session with me before the test, so we might do that," ashton shrugged absentmindedly, briefly chewing on his lower lip before looking back at his screen, "why? what do you think you're doing on saturday?"

"luke invited me to go with him and the twins to the shelter to help them pick out a dog, since i'll be watching it the majority of the time," michael explained slowly, using one hand to prop up one side of his chin that made him look like a cute, sleepy kitten.

"i was hoping you could come to my study session with me," ashton whined, giving his camera a pleading expression as he added, "calum's probably going to bring a bunch of his friends, and i don't want to show up by myself like a loser."

"but i am a loser," michael pointed out, which made ashton pout and shake his head excessively.

"maybe, but you're a cutie and nobody thinks of you as a loser but me and you," ashton insisted, which made michael sigh and pull his sleeves down to his fingertips since he was so cold that his hands were practically frozen.

"i guess we can go when i come back from the shelter," the younger boy murmured sleepily, glancing back at the clock over the blank television, "oh, it's nine-forty-five. are you gonna start leaving so you'll get here by ten?"

"oh, shit. yeah, my bad; i lost track of the time," ashton sighed, placing his phone down so that all michael could see was the ceiling as he hurriedly tried to gather his notes and stick them in his textbook as a bookmark. he grabbed his phone again and began to rush out of his bedroom, murmuring something about how he needed to get gas in his car tomorrow if the storm cleared up.

"drive safe," michael piped up as ashton walked out of their apartment with an umbrella in one fist and his phone in the other, "just text me when you pull up to luke's place; i don't want you to facetime and drive. that's almost as worse as texting and driving."

"okay, mikey babe," ashton huffed as he settled inside of his car, shaking his umbrella out before setting it down in the backseat of his car. he held his phone back up so that michael could see his face, and a huge smile made its way onto the brown haired boy's lips when he could see ashton's face.

"i love you," michael grinned at his screen and put his phone's front camera up to his face, close enough for ashton to see the light stubble lining just above his upper lip.

"love you, too, buddy," the wavy haired boy gave a wave of his fingers and smiled back with his pearly white teeth, "i'll see you in a little bit."