Tears

{Lily Collins is what I feel Evelyn would look similar to}

-

Newt slumps in the corner of the dark cell, his head in his hands still distraught about his creatures and Evelyn.

Jacob sits on the floor on the opposite side of the cell staring sadly at him.

Tina who seems to be fighting back tears breaks the silence.

"I'm so sorry about your creatures, Mr Scamander. I truly am."

Newt remains silent.

"What's Evelyn done?" Jacob questions confused at the loss of his new found friend.

"Over stayed here in New York from what I can assume." Tina responds.

"She most likely ran away." Newt looks up to speak in a neutral tone, sadness upon his face as he looks towards Jacob.

"Ran away? But why?" Jacob asks even more confused.

"I should have realised when she mentioned her second name. Her brother was in my year at Hogwarts." Newt replies picking at his nails in frustration of being locked up.

There's a pause between the conversation no one says a word.

"So what's this Obscurial Obscuris thing?" Jacob breaks the silence, changing the subject as he feels the tension growing in the cell.

"There hasn't been one for centuries-" Tina begins to say but is interrupted by Newt. 

"I met one in Sudan three months ago." a sad look still on his face.

"There used to be more of them but they still exist." Newt pauses for a moment before carrying on, Jacob and Tina listening closely.

"Before wizards went underground, when we were still being hunted by Muggles, young wizards and witches sometimes tried to suppress their magic to avoid persecution."

Newt looks down at the floor again as though recalling dark memories.

"Instead of learning to harness or to control their powers, they developed what was called an Obscurus."

Jacob looks at Tina confused when Newt finishes talking.

"It's an unstable, uncontrollable dark force that busts out and - well attacks and then vanishes...." Tina responds to Jacob.

By now Newt and Tina have begun to realise that the Obscurus is what is causing all the New York attacks, even Jacob is beginning to have some kind of clue as to what is going on.

"Obscurials can't survive long, can they?" Tina asks looking at Newt who's still slumped on the floor.

"There's no documented case of any Obscurial surviving past the age of ten." Newt starts to say and then pauses again clearly distressed as he runs a hand through his hair before continuing.

"The one I met in Africa was eight when she- she died." Newts face floods with emotion at the thought of this poor child he met and wished he could have saved her.

It hurts Newt the most when he can't save something. That's why he's even more worried about his creatures, he doesn't want to let any of them down.

"What are you telling me here- that Senator Shaw was killed by a- a uh kid?" Jacob asks shocked at hearing this.

Newt doesn't need to say a word for Jacob to know his answer is a yes.

A silence falls between the three as they are all in deep thought over what they've just talked about.

The silence however is broken by a voice from a distance and footsteps getting louder.

"Come on!" A man says aggressively.

Newt sits up right as soon as he hears a slight whimper coming from a girl.

Evelyn is all he can think and hope.

"Hurry up!" The man says again obviously not happy with the pace they're going, either that or he just wants to lash out.

A loud thud sounds out and the clatter of a walking cane can be heard on the floor.

Newt doesn't hear any more whimpers from the girl who is most likely shocked from being hit by the cane.

The guard stops at a cell next to the others and pushes the girl in.

He smirks at her and locks the cell before walking off down the hall.

When his footsteps can no longer be heard Newt stands up and turns round facing the bars of the cell next to him.

Evelyn.

He doesn't know if he should feel happy or sad as he reaches his hand out towards her.

She has a bleeding lip from being hit by the cane and a tear stained her face.

Evelyn sits down against the bars and Newt in the other does the same.

Jacob and Tina begin a quiet conversation on the incidents that have happened in New York recently.

"Are-are you okay?" Newt asks shyly.

"Yeah, as okay as I can be I guess." Evelyn replies wiping away the blood from her lip with the back of her hand, she felt pathetic.. Lois's weren't meant to be people brought down by tears and small cuts.

"What did they say?" Newt asks.

"Just questions, I don't really want to talk about my family again if you wouldn't mind." Evelyn asks politely, her head aching from today's events.

"That-that's fine." Newt responds and rubs the back of his neck.

He looks at Evelyn for a moment as though pondering an action.

He then reaches his hand through the bars taking hers in his.

Evelyn tries to hide her smile, feeling rather silly for smiling like a stupid lovesick teenage girl in such a situation.

"Cold." Newt says aloud, speaking about her hand.

He rubs her hand with his, as he begins to feel more emotion toward her then he's ever felt before.

It's like his beasts, he feels the need to protect her all the time.

Yet this is different, stronger In a different kind of way, a feeling he hasn't felt in a while.

A feeling he's missed out on for so long.

-