Chapter 4

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Al exclaimed.

"Who?" Sam asked in confusion.

"What?" Martha was, by far, the most confused of the lot, and almost the most afraid because of the thing she pointed out earlier. She was second, of course, to the Doctor, even though he didn't yet understand the gravity of the situation.

"Nothing," Sam said.

"It's you! I mean, it's the Doctor in your body- how did you get in here?" Al advanced on the Doctor with frustration in his eyes, but he couldn't stay angry at him while he looked so pathetic. His eyes were half closed because of the light, they were surrounded by dark circles, and his general demeanor just looked completely helpless.

"I pressed the right button, I suppose," the Doctor replied nonchalantly. "I felt something just now- did something just happen?"

"Your friend said something about an angel, but I really don't think that's a cause for alarm-" Al began.

"A what?" The Doctor's heart raced. Was it what he thought it was? "Where is it, what?"

"Weeping Angel," Sam corrected.

"Yes!" Martha exclaimed. She appeared relieved, possibly because of Sam's lack of response to the name of something that was obviously supposed to invoke fear. "It's over there! Right where the girl went! Come on, we have to stop it!"

"Oh my-" The Doctor closed his eyes tight and held his head in his hands, evidently in deep pain. The horrified feeling in his chest turned to true physical pain as it got more intense. This fear was probably what was about to push him over the edge. This was one thing he couldn't help them beat. He didn't have his TARDIS, he wasn't actually, there, and worst of all, he could hardly function in his state.

Al's eyes widened in surprise as the anger melted away from his visage. He stepped closer to the Doctor and tried to hold him up but he soon collapsed. "What? What's wrong? What's a Weeping Angel, anyhow?"

"What's wrong, Al?" Sam asked in a terrified tone, as he could feel what the Doctor was feeling but was unable to see the newcomer to the Chamber.

Martha was already far ahead if them, for she had assumed that Sam would follow her if she ran to the monster. She was wrong, of course, because they had something more important to take care of, or so they thought.

"I don't know! He's been having a lot of trouble with this leap for some reason! I was about to tell you-"

The Doctor was holding onto Al's shoulder for support. He told him through gritted teeth, "They're the only creatures y-you can encounter that I can't help you with. Th-they can't be killed and they're stronger and faster than- than anything...."

Al and Sam's faces fell in unison.

"I can see him, Al," Sam said, as though seeing through new eyes all of a sudden. "How come I can see and hear him when he's not in tune with my brain waves?"

"I think a bit of him is still left in you," he replied, still trying to keep the Doctor steady. "You're kinda connected already. I meant to tell you earlier, this isn't a regular leap. Not even close. We have to get you out of here and fast."

"What's so different?" he asked, puzzled.

"Well, we X-rayed the body you leaped into, and it turns out...." Al hesitated. "It turns out, the Doctor wasn't bluffing when he said he has two hearts."

"Two hearts?!" Sam exclaimed in dismay.

"Hold up, you haven't even heard the weird part yet!" Al tried yet again to get the words out but Sam interrupted.