Chapter 28- The Lie (Part 2)

Read the authors note at the end.

Something wasn't right.

The shower was running. Again. 

Stefan sweeps into her room hearing the sounds of heavy water drumming against the bottom of the tile.  He frowns and moves toward the bathroom again for the second time that night. 

He opens the door, not trying to hide his presence this time and squints against the harsh rays of the light fixture, finding Camelia folded in the corner with her legs clasped tightly against her chest in the shower.  Her eyes were not filled with surprise when she lifts her head and spots him enter and close the glass door.  She simply stared up at him with a sad acceptance.  He approaches her cautiously and dropped to her side hating to see her in evident distress.  Gently, without speaking a word he eased her slender barely clad body into his arms.

"How could you...Stefan?" 

Stefan stiffens.  He'd forgotten how his face was bare now and his eyes were on full display without contacts.  His gut twisted. 

She knew. 

He could only hope she didn't hate him. 

Tears filled her eyes and spilled down her delicate cheeks. The strings of his heart clenched as he gathered her stiff body into his arms and sat her on his lap as water droplets barely reached their legs.  He cradled her, relishing the feel of her as he felt in his dream.

His Camelia.  His lady in red. 

Her body trembled in his arms, burying her face in his neck his grip on her tightened.  Never in his life will he ever feel anything as right as her in his arms. 

"Forgive me.  Please don't cry, Princess."  He pleads her tears wetting the skin of his bare chest.  Her thick hair flowed freely down her back, sliding his hand into it, he eased the slight tangles as he had always wanted but never could be so bold before.

To be able to touch her body as himself eased the torn side that felt like it was handcuffed by heavy chains. The barrier holding them apart lifted as their bodies joined recognizing one another after such a extended absence.

"Y-you lied t-to me.." She sobs in anguish he felt down to his bones.  He was causing this.   He was the reason for her tears and pain. 

Stefan lifts her head and forces her to stare at him.  His eyes roam all over her features, memorizing the light freckles over her nose, the exotic color of her eyes, her high cheek bones and lastly land on her inviting full lips.  Without thinking, he bends his head and places a light kiss to her rosebud mouth, hungering for her as the desire flares within him.

She did not respond back to the kiss.

"Understand I had to for your safety." He declares as he pecs her lips once again, laying his forehead against her temple. "Camelia say something!" He demanded, lifting his head to stare deeply into her eyes, a frown of gentle concern etched clearly on his face.

Although not a word was uttered, her eyes spoke volumes. Flashes of pain, betrayal, disbelief, confusion, and fear flicker through her eyes much like a rushing train.

She grew a deep shaky breath.  "I've waited for you for so long." She replies calmly. "You never came back. I waited and waited..." She trails off as a frown marred her brow. "You were with me this whole time and ultimately betrayed my trust."

"I never stopped thinking about you. Not once. I never forgot the promise I made. My only regret is I lied, but you must believe it was for your best interest.  I had to." Stefan explains desperately trying to make her understand. "I was too famous at that point, if I were to pose as your bodyguard with even slight changes to my appearance I would have been recognized and I could have jeopardized your safety."