"What were you doing with that prick?"

Brooklyn

"I still can't believe this is what you needed our help for," Kelsey huffed, sinking deeper in my bed as she stared at her perfectly polished bubblegum pink nails in resignation.

"I never asked for your help," Jazzy retorted, swiveling in my desk chair as I rummaged around in my walk-in-closet. "Actually, I recall telling only Brooklyn. I still don't know what you're doing here."

I heard Kelsey gasp, offended. "Rude much? Get this kid out of my sight before I do something I'll regret," she said, although she sounded as menacing as a chipmunk. "Or not."

I could practically picture Jazmyn rolling her eyes at her.

"Will you guys please stop? I swear you're like two little children."

I emerged from the closet with a few winter dresses draped over my arm, and a couple of tops still in their hangers held in my free hand.

"I'm sorry, Brooke. This girl is just too much for me," Jazmyn muttered—purposely loud so Kelsey would hear—while glaring at her.

"Likewise," Kelsey replied childishly, making a big show of sticking her tongue out at Justin's sister.

"Oh my, God." I sucked in a breath. "Lord help me get through this." I lay all the clothes I'd gathered on my bed on display for Jazmyn's eyes.

Kelsey and Jazzy could be so immaturely childish, it got on my nerves. Especially because it was all fake—they liked each other but refused to openly admit it. Their bickering got annoying after the third comeback they exchanged.

"These should fit you," I said to Jazmyn, straightening a dark brown fleece dress on the bed. "Though I keep thinking you should just wear your own clothes. Really, Caleb doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares about that stuff."

I looked at Kelsey for support, but she still stunk to her guns.

"Seriously, calling Brooklyn way past the allowed-before-I-have-the-right-to-freak-out time on a school night only to ask for a dress you can wear to some date with Clara's little brother." Kelsey snorted. "Please, teenagers these days."

I sent her a scolding look. Sure Jazmyn had scared the crap out me when she called me for help the other day—thoughts of every possible case scenario had flashed through my mind: from Justin being hurt to him having hurt someone or something happening to Pattie or Jaxon, even Jeremy—and, in the end, she was only panicking about a date.

Jazzy smiled sweetly at Kelsey, but her intentions were everything but sweet. I knew that look from seeing it on Justin's face more than once. "You know, Kelsey, if you don't shut that little mouth right now, I'm gonna do it for you," she said calmly, while clenching her fists behind the chair's back. Definitely a Bieber.

"You dare threaten me at my best friend's—daughter of a policeman may I add—house? Unbelievable." Kelsey shook her head dramatically, sitting upright on my bed.

"Okay, enough. You're giving me a headache." I rubbed my temples. "Either you shut up or I'm kicking you both out." I moved my eyes from one girl to the other to make sure they'd understood.

Their lips closed in a tight line.

"Good," I said, going back to the dresses. "So, supposing you really wanna wear my clothes, which one do you like?" I pointed at the dresses.

Jazmyn cocked her head to the side thoughtfully. She seemed to like none of them. "Do you want me to be honest?" She finally darted her eyes from the improvised fashion display to me.

"Go ahead." I gestured with my hands for her to express her truthful opinion, ready to hear what I knew I wouldn't like.

"Alright," she started. "This one,"—she picked a cotton pink dress with a pleated skirt—"is pink." She dropped it back on the comforter. She doesn't like pink, got it. Next, she fetched my white thick woolen dress I had worn the day we had dinner at Justin's with his family. "This one reminds me of Santa Claus and the North Pole and little elfs."