Nothing to lose

After what feels like forever, two women in white clothes appear down in the cells and escort Newt, Tina and Evelyn further down to a dark basement and away from the cells.

Newt turns back looking at Jacob who's been left behind.

"It was good to make your acquaintance, Jacob, and I hope you get your bakery."

Jacob looks scared and clutches onto the bars of the cell with one hand as he waves sadly with the other.

Newt reaches out to hold Evelyn's hand but is pushed away by one of the ladies, much to his dismay.

They enter a small room, it's windowless and plain with black walls.

Newt is moved to sit at a desk a file open in front of him as Grave sits opposite.

Tina and Evelyn stand against the wall the women keeping a hold of them firmly.

"You're an interesting man, Mr Scamander." Graves says looking straight at Newt.

"Mr Graves-" Tina starts to say stepping forward slightly. Mr Graves holds a finger to his lips in annoyance as Tina steps back again.

Graves browses over the file on the desk and looks back up at a Newt.

"You were thrown out of Hogwarts for endangering human life." Graves states reading from the file.

Evelyn suddenly remembers why she thought Newt's name was familiar. She never met him personally but everyone knew about this incident.

"That was an accident!" Newt exclaims defensively.

"With a beast." Grave continues ignoring Newt's statement.

"Yet one of your teachers argued strong against your expulsion. Now, what makes Albus Dumbledore so fond of you?" Graves questions as Evelyn feels a slight tweak of happiness at the name of her favourite transfiguration teacher.

Although this happiness doesn't last more than a few seconds given the situation.

"I really couldn't say." Newt answers looking at the desk intently.

"So were the incidents you've caused with your creatures now... just an accident?" Graves asks suspiciously.

"Why would I do it deliberately?" Newt responds confused.

"To expose wizard-kind. To provoke war between the magical and non magical worlds." Graves states rather obviously.

"Mass slaughtered for the greater good, you mean?" Newt says barely audible.

Graves nods and Newt begins to speak again.

"I'm not one of Grindelwald's fanatics, Mr Graves. Neither are Evelyn or Tina."

"Well I can't speak for Tina, but Evelyn's parents are rather close with Grindelwald aren't they?" He looks at Evelyn now and she can almost see a slight smirk on his face.

"I'm. Not. My. Parents." Evelyn answers firmly surprising herself with this new found confidence.

"We'll see." Grave answers bluntly.