•fourteen•

Ara woke the next morning feeling extremely giddy. She couldn't stop reliving the kiss in her mind.

Remus felt excited. Every time he thought of Ara his heart skipped a beat. But there was a tiny part of him that felt... regretful. He was setting her up for a world of hurt. Who could like a freak like him? Still, he couldn't help but smile when he saw her the next morning.

"Good morning," he greeted, falling in step beside her on their way to breakfast.

Ara's cheeks reddened, which made Remus' grin even wider.

"Good morning," she replied softly.

They joined their friends at the breakfast table. James and Sirius wolf whistled.

"How are our lovebirds?" Sirius smirked.

Lily rested her chin in her hand and smiled brightly at the two, "You guys are so cute together."

Ara looked towards Remus, letting herself read his emotions. He seemed mostly joyful, but something was off. Somewhere deep down, he felt regret. This realization startled her and in spite of herself she read further. It wasn't that he didn't want to be with her, it was that he was scared. Scared of hurting her. Of not being good enough. These thoughts saddened Ara.

"You alright Ara?" Mary asked. Everyone was laughing at a joke James had made, but Jones had been too focused to hear it.

She shook her head slightly, as if to clear her thoughts. "Oh, I'm fine. I must've zoned out."

"Probably daydreaming about you," Lily teased, winking at Remus.

The rest of the day went downhill from there. Ara got bit by a plant in Herbology because she was thinking about what Remus had been feeling this morning. When she got back from the Hospital Wing, Professor McGonagall had just finished going over their new spell (turning a boot into a broomstick) and she missed the lesson. When she attempted the spell, her boot started hopping around and stomped all over the classroom and knocked things over until McGonagall was able to stop it.

Remus' day wasn't going any better. During a particularly boring History lesson, he let his mind wander. All he could think about was whether or not he should have kissed her. He let himself work his way into a panic and decided that no, he shouldn't have done it. In Potions he was so focused on how to tell Ara that he made a mistake, that he spilled his disappearing potion all over his things. It took the remainder of class to locate his wand, and Professor Slughorn had to brew a revealing potion.

By dinner time, both Remus and Ara were completely exhausted. Neither of them talked much at dinner, and when they got back to the common room they both submerged themselves in homework.

It was about midnight when Ara started on her Ancient Runes homework, almost everyone had already gone to bed. She went and sat by Remus on the couch, asking him for help. He was as kind as ever, thoroughly explaining everything until she understood. But she could tell something was wrong.

As Jones was packing up her bag, Lupin cleared his throat. She knew the words were coming, but it didn't make them hurt any less.

"Ara, I shouldn't have kissed you."

Now almost any other girl would've screamed and stomped their feet and called him a jerk. Ara wasn't like most girls.

"What do you mean?" she asked calmly, although she already knew.

Remus sighed heavily, "I'll only hurt you."

He made to go on, but she stopped him.

"I already know," she said.