I Dont Want to Forget

You screamed in a mixture of sadness in rage. Your balled fists bounded against the enchanted metal bars of your cell. Tears were streaming down your face, dropping off your chin and onto the cold, hard pavement below you.

You weren't a witch. But you were in love with a wizard. And according to MACUSA, the magical congress in America, that was a crime.

You loved him with all your heart. He loved you with all of his. He was a personal favorite of MACUSA and you didn't understand why they couldn't just let you live with him, why they couldn't just let you love him.

When you and your siblings were just children you said you'd never cry over a man. You said you'd be strong. But as you got older and your siblings got older you realized that being strong didn't mean not crying over a spouse, but having the strength to give yourself to one completely. And there you were, breaking the promise your young self had made. You were proud of yourself for doing so, but by god why couldn't the circumstances be different?

You weren't aware that on the floor just above you, the man who loved you was crying just as hard.

Newt Scamander was hunched in an inquiry room, seated in a cold metal chair. He couldn't stop himself from sobbing, he couldn't stop himself from gasping, he couldn't control the grief that was boiling inside his chest as the auror told him he'd have to obliviate you. Or else.

He never meant to get mixed up with a muggle. He only meant to be in New York for a couple hours. But when Grindelwald was captured and the rain had washed away the terror from everyone's minds you stood there, looking like an angel. Your hair was matted down and your eyes were clenched shut against the rain but you had your face turned against the great thunderstorm, embracing its power willingly. And then you looked at him, and he couldn't help but walk over and introduce himself. He didn't wish he had stopped himself- no, he never would- because you were the most wonderful thing to happen to him.

A sob escaped from his throat and he clenched his fists. He wanted MACUSA to know just how painful it was for him to get rid of the person he loved most in the world. He wanted them to know just how wrong they were about muggles, how wrong they were about her.

The auror offered to do it himself. Newt refused. He wanted to say goodbye to you, say one last time just how much he loved you. He wanted to hold you, kiss you, one last time before you were gone. He needed you to know just how much he didn't want to lose you.

He was powerless to do anything against MACUSA, though. And they knew it.

They knew it when they forced him to get up, salty tears flowing like waterfalls down his tan face, and walk, agonizingly slow, out of the interrogation room.

They knew it when they forced him to walk down the stairs to the dungeons, where your sobs filled Newt's mind with nightmares.

They knew it when they forced him to walk up to your cell, where you kneeled in front of the door, whimpering and crying.

Newt said your name and you looked up, hope written on your face. But one look at his tear streaked face and trembling chin you knew hope was miles away.

"Get on with it," the guard says. "She's been blubbering for half an hour." Newt had half a mind to punch him square in the face. But he stayed strong, for you.

The guard unlocked the cage and you leapt to your feet, yet more tears threatening to spill. "Newt..." you pleaded. The sound of your heartbroken, throaty voice made Newt die inside. He squeezed his eyes shut and looked away from you. He couldn't bare to see you in so much pain.

"What's going on?" You whispered.

"They-" Newt choked on his words. He didn't want to say it, he didn't want the situation to be real. "They're making me obliviate you."

He watched you as the truth infected your brain. You stared at him in shock. It was cruelly silent as your eyes glanced at the wand Newt was clutching. Your bottom lip started to tremble.

"No," You stammered. "No, no, Newt, don't do this!" You pleaded with gasping breaths. Fresh tears were falling from both of your eyes.

"I have to."

You choked out a sob and you slapped a hand over your mouth, trying to stifle it. A fresh wave of sadness washed over Newt. You were always trying to stay strong. That's why he tried to do the same, because you did it for him.

Because you loved each other.

"I'm sorry," Newt choked out. He rushed forward and embraced you, wrapping his long arms around your small form like there was no tomorrow. Your hands grasped his shirt as you pulled him closer to you, tears staining both of your shirts.

"Please, Newt." You wept. "I don't want to forget."

"I know you don't," he grieved. "And I want you to know that I will never forget you. My life... it's better because you were in it. You matter so much to me, and-" he had to pause. "-and no one will ever mean as much to me as you do."

Newt pried you away and put his forehead on yours, craving one last moment of affection. One last kiss.

"I love you." He vowed.

"I love you too." You sniffled, putting a hand on his cheek. You knew it was inevitable. From the moment you'd known that he was a wizard, some part of you had known that it wouldn't last. But you loved Newt so much you didn't care.

Caressing Newt's cheek, trying to memorize the way he felt under your fingers, you said, "I won't forget you forever, Newt. This isn't the end."

Newt wanted so badly to believe that. He wanted so badly to have a future with you. He thought his greatest achievement was his book, but it was you. When he was on his deathbed he knew that his only regret would be obliviating you.

His hands shaking, Newt cupped your face with both of his hands and kissed you for the last time.

The taste of your sweet chapstick mingled with both of your salty tears, staining your faces with hopes thrown away.

It ended too soon. He pulled away. His hands lingered on your face and his eyes looked into yours, soaking up the last time he'd ever be able to look at you and see the one for him in your eyes. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

Stepping back, he pulled out his wand with shaking hands. You didn't say anything. That was the worst part.

In a moment of self-doubt, Newt looked at the wand in his hand. He couldn't get around MACUSA, but he could try, couldn't he?

"Get on with it!" The guard huffed.

Newt raised his head and looked at his lover.

"Do it," she declared, her chin raised high.

Newt raised his wand. Blood was rushing to his head. He could barely hear anything it was so loud.

"I love you," he whispered for the last time. You nodded at Newt, your jaw set. You knew what had to be done.

"Obliviate."