7

______ followed Newt in, gasping as soon as she laid eyes upon what was beyond the door.

There were all sorts of creatures just in her view right now. There were two creatures (who kind of looked like large beetles) pushing things around, something flying past her head, and a little out of her point of view, she thought she saw a nest of some sort. Even though she was only seeing what was possibly the smallest portion of the case, her eyes widened, trying to soak it all in like she would never see it again. In a small portion, she thought she might not. Why was she being shown all this? Was she allowed to see all this? Largely, what was happening? It was like it all happened so fast that she had no idea where she was or what was happening.

All she knew is that it made her happy.

Newt looked over at ______ and smiled. She seemed so interested in everything, looking all around her like she was running out of time. Like she had to take it all in, right then, right there. "It's not going anywhere," he found himself saying without thinking about it.

"What?" ______ asked, turning and looking at Newt.

"Oh, uh..." Newt trailed off, not really knowing why he said anything at all. He let his eyes fall down from hers, though subconsciously he wanted to keep looking into them, and looked at her lips again. "You just seemed to be very invested in staring at everything. Don't hurt yourself staring too hard," he tried to joke lightly.

"Oh! Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude," ______ told him. "I've just... I've never seen anything like this. Wow, just wow."

"Ah, well, you certainly act better than some Muggles to do magic."

"Muggles?"

"Muggles," Newt began to explain. "Non-wizards. That's what we call them, at least in Britain."

"Oh," ______ said. She turned away from Newt and back to the scenery before her. She couldn't help but notice what looked like an empty dessert habitat. It was set up so nicely, as if it expecting something, or like something had been there before. "I hope you don't mind my asking," she began. "But what's that empty habitat for?"

Newt followed where her eyes led to and saw where Frank, his Thunderbird, once was. "That was for a very special beast," he told her, looking at the habitat with a small, slightly sad, smile forming on his face. "He was the reason I came here, to America. I was setting him free, back to Arizona where he belonged. I found him chained up in another country."

______ looked at Newt, recognizing the look on his face. "Do you miss him?" she asked suddenly.

"Of course I miss him," Newt said after a moment, answering it like it was the easiest question on the Earth. To him, it was. He held all of his beasts close to him, and if even one disappeared, he would be devastated. He knew he had to release Frank eventually, and he knew he would be happier, so it helped him be at ease a little more about him leaving. If he lost anyone else though, one that might not be able to take care of itself, or one that might be in danger, he wouldn't dream of ever releasing them. That's why he couldn't leave ______. Pickett seemed very attached to her. He couldn't just leave the Bowtruckle with her and be on his merry way. It had nothing to do with ______, and everything to do with Pickett. He feared for him. If Pickett were to ever get lost, get separated from ______, or get stolen, he could get involved in some kind of illegal beast trade. It wasn't uncommon, and Bowtruckles were popular for their ability to pick locks. No way would he ever risk that, not for Pickett. Pickett was his secret favorite. So he had to stay with ______, for Pickett. Just until he could get him off of her.

Why was he so attached to her anyways?

Newt snapped out of his thoughts and back into his situation. "He's a lot happier now though, I know he is. He's free, and he's where he's meant to be."