Series pt 3

Maddie's POV

It was my favorite time of the school year, when we did track and field! I'm not the fastest runner or whatever but I'm above average and I'm improving so that all what matters.

"Get into your squads. Amy go ahead" Miss Andie, my gym teacher instructed. We all lines up in our squads and waited for more instructions. I feel lucky to have gym 9th period, it's so much better if I sweat because I dont have to go to a class and act civilized. 

"lunges till the 30 ft line" Amy said. We all did the lunges, of course we got sloppy along the way.

"power skips back" I heard her yell. Everybody did as asked and the warm ups went on with the shuffling, karaoke, butt kickers and so on. 

"Take a lap" Miss Andie yelled. 

"Maddie wait up!" I heard my friend Carrie yell. I slow down for her so she can catch up to me and we could run together. 

"so same team for football" she asked. I nodded not wanting to talk or I'll be wasting my oxygen. As we finish the lap, we all huddle together again as we chose our teams and get ready to play football. Yes foot ball but not the one where we tackle each other, we just pass the football to each other and can only take 3 steps, it prevents violence.

"Amy you are going to join Maddie's team because we are short one" My gym teacher yells and Amy comes running up. 

"Okay, lets go" we start the game and of course Carrie throws the ball to me. I take the chance and throw a long shot and my team mate catches it giving us 2 points!

"how are you feeling now?" Amy whispered casually

"Amy no. do we have to talk about it?" i whisper back

"You are on my watch so yes and Dr. Styles told me to because he said you might be getting sick and we all know how you're like when that happens" 

"good point but I'm fine" I tell her. I am fine, just a little headache and my throat is kind of sore. Okay, that sounds like I'm getting sick but not really. plus I have track practice today after school so I'd rather not.

"if you say so but I know somethings up. I forgot to tell you, your mom asked me to take you home" Amy said. Did I forget to mention that she is my neighbor and has been for 4 years plus shes a junior while I'm a freshman so she can drive. 

"Okay thanks" I tell her and catch the flying ball.

Amy's POV

I hate to lie to Maddie, we're close but not too close but still. I actually had to take her to the doctors office since I have my volunteer hours there because her foot needs to be checked on and I know she is sick. 

"Amy, I have practice though. Not gonna skip it!" She whispers.

"You have to, this once" I tell her but she shakes her head no and walks away. 

*AFTER GYM*

I go by Maddies locker to see that shes not there. Gosh no. I really hope she didnt go to practice even when I told her not to. I go outside to the field and see her there.

"Maddie, we have to go" I yell. Maddie walks over with a glum look

"I don't feel too good Amy" she says

"I can tell. Lets get you home"

We walk to my car and buckle our seats. I put a child lock on her side and we drive to the doctors office aka hospital

"Where are we going? Maddie asks

"to the hospital. I got pulled into a shift of volunteering and Dr. Styles needs to check on your foot and you're sick" I list all the reasons

"No! I want out of the car!!" She struggles

"Hey calm down, it's gonna be fine" I tell her

"You mean you holding me down so he can torture me, no" she yells back

"Maddie you have to compromise. It will be alright" She kind of calms down as we get out of the car and walk towards the hospital. I sign in to the machine so my volunteer hours can be counted for and then  sign in Maddie at the receptionist desk and take her back to Dr. Styles.

"I didnt think you would come Maddie. Good job Amy" He says. Even though he has been her doctor for so long, his snarky comments piss her off at times. 

"This is whats gonna happen, Im gonna take your vitals, then examine your foot to see if anything is misplaced since you've been running against doctors orders and if you're sick, I'll take care of it" He lists like a billion things hes gonna do and I can see Maddie slowly starting to freak out. 

"Just the blood pressure cuff" he said and wrapped it around Maddie's arm. He pumped it until it was all the way and Maddie winced slightly but recovered fast. Next, he got the thermometer and was about to put it in her ear when she pulled back. Knowing Maddie, she only pulled back because she knew she was sick and soon Dr. Styles would have evidence to prove it.

"Maddie" I said giving her a little look that said "I know what you are doing, just let him do his job".

"I already know you're sick since your last visit so there is nothing to hide" Dr. Styles said. Maddie had a guilt covering her face but nodded letting him take her temperature which was  101.

"Just gonna listen to your heart. Lay back" He said and Maddie slowly laid down on the bed/table. He gestured her to lift her top and she followed his instructions slowly lifting it. He started listening carefully, each time pausing for a while as he moved his stethoscope around.

"You're doing great" he mumbled and after a minute, he said "All done with the vitals. Now, I'm just gonna check on your foot. Any problems since the cast has been off?" 

"not at all" Maddie beamed. 

"Is this the truth or..?" he asked and she just smiled.

"Amy, did you see her limping in gym or anything?" he asked me

"not really... she seemed okay" I responded

"well we're about to find out" he said and Maddie said "nobody twists my foot!"