Before

Clover sat by herself in the common room of Hufflepuff house, sketching the sofas and banners decorating the cozy little hangout spot. She added little pillows and cushions on the couches and a bunch of plants decorating the room's corners.

As much as she hated to admit it, she signed up for plant feeding and watering duty the day Professor Sprout asked. It made her smile to see the leaves brighten to a deep palm green similar to how others felt when winning a game of Wizards Chess. Most days she read out of books from the school library during breakfast, watered each plant before bed, and sketched pages in her notebook till she fell asleep.

The only thing she liked more was people watching. She sneaked glances at the other students in her house. They were often kind and courteous but clearly weren't interested in speaking more than a 'hello' or 'have you seen a little tabby cat anywhere?'

Clover didn't really mind. She had her books and fawned over fictional characters instead.

~ ~ ~

Newt had been staying late with the Care of Magical Creatures teacher as he'd been promised half an hour of research straight in the field if he agreed to share his results with the class. He'd happily agreed and had just finished studying a small mole-like creature chasing after a Sickle dropped carelessly on the ground. Newt was on his way to the common room to finish outlining his results. He went through the portrait hole and sat down next to a young girl in his year with long auburn colored hair and hazel-green eyes. Newt found himself staring at the girl while she drew with her quill, her hand dancing across the paper while she perfected each stroke.

The girl didn't seem to notice.

Newt glanced at the drawing she'd been making. A visual of the common room. It was very well done with every last detail included.

"I like that drawing. Did you do it all yourself?" He asked her. Clover caught his gaze, her cheeks instantly heating up. Newt grew pink and averted his eyes.

Clover smiled shyly. "Well, my quill helped a little."

Newt chuckled, for the first time in a while. He didn't have many friends either and liked the welcoming feeling of laughter.

"D'you come here often? To draw, I mean?" He asked her.

She shook her head. "It's more quiet in the afternoons and I don't really like all the noise. I usually just come around now. When it's more quiet." Clover told him.

Newt nodded in agreement. He didn't like crowds too much either. "I'm Newton Scamander, but you can call me Newt." He introduced himself, holding out a hand for her to shake.

Clover smiled and shook his outstretched hand. "Clover Ackerely. It's truly a pleasure Newt."

Newt smiled to himself. Clover didn't seem quite like the other Hufflepuff students. This girl was more reserved and didn't seem so full of herself, yet she was very pretty in his opinion and he was drawn to her soft spoken personality. Maybe they'd meet again soon.