8. Your secret's safe with me

Thirteen's POV

I finish applying my make-up over the bruises on the side of my face before sweeping my hair up into a high ponytail. I look myself over in the mirror quickly before grabbing the messenger bag lying on my bed and slinging it over my shoulder.

I slip my feet into a pair of black pumps and exit my room, closing the door behind me and reengaging the security system.

It's hard enough for anyone to get into the house itself, but my room...that's impossible.

I walk down the hallway to the stairs, Devin's voice stopping me in my tracks.

"We need to talk, or technically I need to yell at you..." He trails off as he sees me, his eyes giving me a once over. "Whoa." He says simply. I glance down at my outfit which consists of a pair of black dress pants, a navy blue button up shirt rolled up to my elbows, and my heels.

I ditched the sling. Henri can yell at me all he wants when I get back.

I look back up at him. "You were saying?" I question when he says nothing else.

"Where are you going? And what happened? You actually look professional."

I roll my eyes at his comment. "Well as Eleanor so blatantly pointed out, I am CEO of a major company and I do have work to do when I actually happen to be home." I walk down the stairs and he follows.

"Her name is Elaine." He corrects me. I wave my hand dismissively. "And how the hell do you even have time to run a company? How the hell you even have a company?"

"I mostly run the company online, during or in between missions. I currently own seven buildings worldwide and there's an eighth one in construction. I have one person in charge of running each building efficiently and they report back to me. I give them the basics on how I want the company run and they do it." I reply simply as I make it to the door, stopping in my tracks.

"You didn't answer my other question." Devin points out.

"The company was my mother's. When she died the company was passed on to my sister." I state simply. "But she was too young to run the company at the time so my father was running it. When she disappeared the company was passed on to my brother. After he was killed it was finally passed on to me." I mutter my tone sour. "My father was running the company for me up till two years ago when I finally took over. But with me being an agent and all it's a little harder to actually be at the company, so I run most everything online."

I shrug before opening the door and walking out, pulling my car keys out of my bag.

"So Kingston is your mother's maiden name." He states as he follows me out. I nod.

"I'll never go by father's last name as long as I live."

"Ok." He nods thoughtfully as I get in the car and start the engine.

The car moves a grand total of five feet before a certain idiot jumps in front of it.

I slam on the breaks and let out a string of curse words before the passenger side door is opened and Devin slides into the seat next to me.

"What the hell?" I question, turning in my seat to face him.

"I still need to yell at you for a certain problem you've created, you stab happy nameless person." He glares at me and I stare blankly back at him.

I shake my head, "You can yell at me when we're at the company."

***

I exit the elevator followed closely by Devin as I make my way to my office.