Chapter Seven

LEXION

Matteo Santiago was what most people pictured when they thought of a warrior

Matteo Santiago was what most people pictured when they thought of a warrior. Tall and whipcord trim with shoulders made to bear any burden. His muscled arms told a tale of strength and his scars of survival. Like all weres, he did not scar easily so the fact that he had any showed he had survived what few could.

He wore a blank face, his eyes alert and his movements precise and minimal. "Alphas." He bowed to the room and then turned to face Lex's father. "How may I serve you."

"Santiago." His father acknowledged. "We need your ability to reveal the truth of someone."

There was a slight pause before he gave a firm nod. They all knew Matteo hated his gift. Though the Shadow's End pack accepted his magical gifts he had been mistreated because of them as a child. He had been twenty when Lex's father had bargained with his former Alpha for him. Even though his gifts were accepted here and even welcomed Matteo still considered them a curse.

"A pair of rogues will be joining our pack." Alpha Darius explained, "Before they do we need to know if they pose a threat to us."

Again Matteo nodded. "I will need an hour to prepare."

"Whatever you need."

As they waited Lex sat in a corner away from everyone as he brooded. If it turned out Tania was a threat to them he might have no choice but to stand by as his father had her killed, yet he had promised to not let anyone hurt her. As the alpha heir though his duty was to the pack. The question was which duty he should put first. The one to his pack or the one to his mate.

Despite the fact that his posture had keep-out signs all over it, his cousin, sister and the other heirs came to stand and sit around him. He ignored them as he continued wrestling with his thoughts. They talked around him, hushed in respect to their parents but their unwanted opinions grated on him.

Who cared if his new mate wasn't a virgin, he wasn't. And who cared if she was pregnant with another guy's child it was no fault of hers. Yet his narrow-minded friends seemed to think he needed sense knocked into him.

"I'm ready." Matteo finally said after what felt like an eternity. "I will petition the moon goddess to show us her truth and if she listens she will show us however she wants." He explained. "I don't know how she is going to do it since it's always different. You don't need to do anything but it helps if you lend me a bit of your strength."

His family readily agreed while the others sat back to be observers. Using the pack bond, Lex focused some of his energy and sent it. He felt his family doing the same as well as a few of the alpha heirs present.

Lex felt it when the wave of energy hit Matteo and saw him brace himself. His dark brown skin glowed with golden light as the energy seemed to radiate from his pores. His voice strained as he began calling on the goddess. His words were formal, the tone sonorous like in the ancient rituals that were no longer performed.

Lex held the flow of energy to the man as he struggled through the rhythmic words. Struggled not because he forgot the words but to hold and blend the power they magnified.

Sweat poured down his face as his voice rose to a crescendo before he slumped against the wall. There was a pause, as if time skipped a beat. They looked around and at each other to see if anything had changed.

Blinding light ignited the room. So bright that even when their eyes instinctively closed it still penetrated. When they opened them they were no longer in the meeting room. Solid yet like the mists that inhabited the place between worlds they stood in the infirmary, unseen by the two teenagers.

Cadan sat on his bed, his worn clothes that were too small for him highlighting his half-starved state. Tania was still asleep on the bed and Cadan's intense gaze was fixed on her. He had a pillow on his lap which he unconsciously fluffed as he waited. When Tania's eyes fluttered, Cadan threw the pillow at her and then took the other one on his bed.

"What the..." She protested but Cadan started hitting her with the other pillow.

752 words

Struggled a bit with this one. Pliz tell me if you think it needs more detail or something.