Chapter 6

It was only about two months later that Lillian had started to feel a bit disconnected from Newt. Normally the two would spend all of their time together, talking and hanging out with each other,but ever since Newt had started to 'date' Leta, everything had started to change. In every class they had with Slytherin he opted to sit with Lestrange instead, and now he even left her alone at lunch and breakfast to eat at her table. Every Hogsmeade trip, the couple would go off to the Three Broomsticks without her. And whenever they did talk, it was either over creatures or what Newt and Leta did.

Lillian had never realized how alone she was without Newt by her side every day.

She was surprised that they had even let it get this way. Lillian would have supported any relationship of Newt's but this was different. It was isolating them, but maybe that's just how things are meant to be. She shouldn't just be socially reliant on one person for her life. Maybe it was a good thing to help her move on.

Beyond the fact though, Lillian's love for his creatures never faltered. Oftenly Lillian would sneak down into his suitcase whenever he was busy, with or without his knowing.

It was the middle of the day and the students of Hogwarts were in the great hall eating dinner. All except Lillian who had snuck into the Hufflepuff puff dorm rooms and was in Newt's case. Giggling as she sat near the nests of the demiguise and niffler. Her sketchbook was open in her lap as she quickly doodled the two creatures playing with each other. The demiguise often turning invisible and sneaking up on the platypus like creature.

The sudden noise of footsteps came from the shed and Lillian was startled for a moment. Shaking it off, she closed her book and stood up, lifting up the demiguise and lifting her into her nest. "Hey Newt." Lillian called out happily, making her way towards the shack. She could finally spend some time with him alone.

Pushing the wooden door open, she immediately spotted an alarming site. Newt stood at the ladder of his case, assisting a certain dark skinned woman down it. Her breath caught in her throat as she watched, wide eyed. What was he doing? Why was he bringing another person down.

As the girl, Leta Lestrange, took the final step off the ladder, she turned around and caught Lilian's eye. Newt turned to look at her too." Oh, Lilly. I didn't think you were down here." Newt called her by her nickname, shuffling his feet with his hands in his pockets.

Lillian's eyes flicked over to Newton's and he was getting really nervous. After a long silence, Lillian finally spoke up." Can I talk to you Newt? Alone please?"She asked quietly, nodding behind her to the creature enclosures. Newt nervously bit his lip and glanced between the two women before nodding.

"I-I'll be right back." He whispered to Lestrange as she watched the two of them. Newt slipped out the door behind Lillian and he was quickly pulled far away. Being dragged by his arm by the smaller girl, they finally stopped somewhere near the bowtruckle enclosure.

"Newt, what are you doing?" Lillian as roughly in a whisper, pulling him close to make sure Leta couldn't hear. Scamander rubbed his neck, a habit he developed.

"Look- I know this might seem a bit different-" He tried to start off but Lillian cut him off again.

"Newt, why are you bringing her down here? What happened to keeping all of these creatures a secret?"

"Is there something wrong with Lestrange?" He said defensively after hearing the sick emphasis on her name. "I-I trust her, and I know she wouldn't tell anyone about my beasts." He went on, trying to reason.

Lillian was hurt. Newt's case was the one place that only he and she could be alone together just like before, but even now Leta had taken it over. "Newt.." She felt like crying, and she was very close to it too. Not only did the Slytherin take her one chance of getting Newt to like her but she was stealing her friendship too.

The creatures were the one special thing they had together. But not anymore.

In the emotional state she was in, she needed to leave before making a bigger scene than she already was. She ran from the grip of Newt's hand who was desperate to understand what was wrong. "Lillian, please.." Newt called after the black haired girl, sighing.

Lillian barged into the shed, not making eye contact with Leta Lestrange as she climbed up the ladder and out of the case. Quickly sneaking to her dorm, she fell onto her bed and clutched the sheets, trying not to bawl her eyes out. She was better than this.

But she was not.

Truth be told she was still just a hormonal teenage girl that cried over the simplest things. One of them being boys. 

She had wished for many things that night, wanting to go home or to be with her mum, but that wasn't going to happen over a little broken heart. The Hufflepuff soon found her self drifting off to sleep with puffy red eyes and a tear stained pillow. 

Being in love is difficult.

Please comment if you want more