25: Paint Me Inside Out

"So this is where you guys spend your time when we're busting our asses on the field huh?" Zac asked amusingly. He seemed to have cooled down a little. He wasn't crying anymore, and the shaking was gone too.

"Yep, this is our artsy kingdom" I answered proudly.

"And Evan is undoubtedly the king" Ms. Parks joined in. "He's at the top of all art classes" I couldn't help but feel flattered and slightly proud. I loved what I did. Art was me in my full glory.

"He doesn't really look like the artistic type" Zac told Ms. Parks, who agreed.

I didn't remember how long we've been here, but at least 2 classes went by. I helped Ms. Parks with all the classes. Zac watched like it was the most fascinating thing ever, and I could've sworn that half the time he was watching me and not the actual art. He would have this passionate look in his eyes that made it feel like he's looking at me like I was the most precious thing in the world. Weirdly enough, I wasn't surprised. Because that's how I look at him too. If anything merely harmful was to go Zac's way, I was going to crush it. But before crushing things, I made sure that he was okay.

Zac//

It's unfair to say that Evan was good at art. He fucking owned it. He knew everything there is to know. What colors to mix, when to use this one, when to use that one, when to highlight and when to shade. He was brilliant. He looked at art supplies like they were the most beautiful things ever. That's how I looked at him.

I kept asking myself, how was I so lucky? What did I do to deserve his innocent soul? Sometimes I would feel like my mother sent him to me from above, she was always protective of me, and even though he was small, Evan was the same.

"You good?" he asked after he finished teaching some student something. I was a couple feet away marveling at the drawings and paintings hung on the walls of the class. Which was larger than regular classes by at least 3 times.

"I'm okay" I said. With him by my side, I was always going to be okay.

He held my head between his hands and lowered it just a bit, and kissed the top of my head like I always do. This was the first time he does this.

"Whenever you do this, I feel like everything is going to be okay. That you are always by my side and with me. It makes me feel safe, and I hope it works for you too" he explained.

"Awwwwwww" I forgot that Ms. Parks was here gushing over us.

They were lucky to have her. She was nothing like coach Cooper.

<><><><<>><><><>

Evan//

"Your class is the next one, so you better get ready. I can't take on them on my own" Ms. Parks told me. I was sitting on the floor with Zac's head resting on my crossed legs, and his body stretched on the floor.

I ruffled his hair, "Get up heavy ass".

He got up just as students started to flow in one by one. They looked tired which is predictable since it's the last class of the day.

The last one in was Raiden. He looked beat up too.

"Hey what's he doing here?" Zac whispered, pointing at Raiden.

"He's in our class. do you know him?" I wasn't sure why Zac was asking about him specifically. I really hoped that he wouldn't have any troublesome history because the guy seemed cool.

"How the fuck"

"Why what's wrong?"

"Ev he's on our team"