1. Baby?

Chapter One: Baby?

Allen

"Allen, go home."

I looked up from my paperwork to see Melissa standing in the doorway of my office, her coat on and her purse slung over her shoulder. When had it gotten late enough for her to be leaving?

Glancing back down at my desk, I sighed. "I'm almost done."

"No, you're not. You need to go home. It's late."

I didn't look up as I answered, searching for the file I needed. "There's nothing there for me. Not since-" I cut myself off with a shake of my head. I didn't want to think of that right now.

"Allen," Melissa sighed. I heard her heels click against the floor as she walked over and stood directly in front of my desk. I looked up at her, already knowing what she was going to say, considering she tells me the same thing all the time. "You need to move on. It's been months, Allen. The only way you'll forget about her is if you let yourself move forward with your life. Not drowning yourself in your work every night."

I let out another sigh, rubbing my face with my hands. How could I do that? Sarah was my world. I was even going to propose to her, but before I could she just up and vanished. She left me a note, telling me she needed to leave, but that was it. I haven't heard anything from her in nearly eight months. I just keep thinking that someday she'll come back. I know she will. But until then, I need to keep myself busy with my work. It's the only way I can stay sane.

"Allen, please. It's after nine. You've been here for thirteen hours. You need to go home, eat something, and get some sleep. Please."

I nodded my head slowly, getting to my feet. She was right about that. I wasn't sure when the last time I had eaten was. And sleep? I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since before Sarah left, but that's a different story altogether.

Melissa gave me a small smile. "Thank you, Allen. Grab your things. I'll walk down with you."

We made our way down the hall to the elevator, then down it, all the while Melissa was trying to take my mind off everything by talking about her youngest daughter's dance recital last night. I listened like a good friend, no matter how much I didn't want to. But she's done so much for me, it was the least I could do.

"Go home and get some rest, Allen," Melissa said once we reached the parking lot. Our two cars were the only ones left, aside from the night janitor's. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

Sliding into the driver's seat, I shut the door and turned on the car, immediately cranking up the heat. Why was it this cold out? I thought the weather had been warming up recently?

Thankfully, the heat worked well in my car and I was at a nice temperature ten minutes later. Only another twenty before I got home, which wouldn't be so bad of a drive at this time of night.

Once I got home, I unlocked the front door and made my way into the kitchen to start a pot of coffee. Unlike most people, coffee helps me sleep, so I only ever drink it at night.

While that was brewing, I headed upstairs to the bathroom. Looking myself in the mirror, I noticed just how shitty I looked. I looked old, much older than I should at the age of twenty six. But I guess that's what happens when you're thrown into a situation like mine.

I was suddenly drawn from the thoughts as the doorbell rang. Who would be stopping by this late? Actually, who would be stopping by at all? People never just did that with me. At least, not anymore. People would do that sometimes, when Sarah was still living here and I was happy.