Chapter 28

Chapter 28

We long for affection, altogether ignorant to our faults.

I press the button to floor three, and cross my arms over my chest, waiting. I walked to Harry's work after quietly leaving my house while Dad was napping. It was cold, on the verge of raining. Just as I was entering the building, a light sprinkle started.

I mess with my hair in the reflection of the lift doors. It's down and wavy as usual but not after an attempt to curl my hair. I wasn't use to having to keep my arm up for I don't know how long, until I finally gave up and brushed through my hair. I did my make up light, no eye shadow or noticeable lip gloss or layers of mascara.

There's a small ping before the doors slide open to show the bustle of working people on computers or papers. My eyes instantly search for Harry's desk near the back, but when I find it, it's empty. I make my way to Ty and Kylie and Steven, and Kylie is sitting on Ty's lap when I remember something about Emily saying they were together. When I scan over Emily's desk, she's not there either.

"Hey, Shay!" Kylie greets, looking away from Ty. The other men follow in suit and I return hellos, checking the time on the wall clock that reads 10:56. Harry said to be here at 11.

"Does anyone know where Harry is? I was supposed to meet him here."

"Last I heard, Styles was in the basement," Ty guessed. I recall Harry last time I was here saying that the basement doubles at a gym where everyone goes. Of course he'd be there. "Just press the 'B' button in the elevator and he's down there."

That's when I sudden come to the realisation that I'm standing in front of possible killers. I've forgotten all about Thomas and what Harry said that night. They probably killed him. They. The people in front of me, and then some, were apart of things only nights ago. Any one of them─ if he's dead ─could have killed him. The thoughts make my stomach churn.

I quickly nod, only thinking about getting away before I say something I shouldn't and find Harry. He's the only one I can really trust. But then again, Harry would've been the one hitting Thomas if Lucas didn't stop him. I'll just have to talk to him, ask question and I hope he'll comply.

I walk speedily to the lift and press the button that supposedly leads to the basement. I nervously pick at my hardly existent nails watching the numbers go back down. What do I have to be nervous about? This is Harry, my boyfriend. I should be happy to see him. Happy that he invited me to lunch. But deep down, I think I'm scared that things have gone back to how they were before. That Harry isn't the same boy from the bathroom. The one that broke down his past and told me things that he's probably never told anyone else. I don't want that boy to be gone.

The first thing I register when the doors slide apart is the smell of sweat and hormones. It's dark, making it hard to see, except for the intermittent lights that hang down from the ceiling. There are columns of cement placed at random spots─ at least it looks like that to me ─that act like supports. To my right are different types of machines, ranging from pull up bars, to weights, to treadmills and elliptical machines and I recognize Emily on the staircase─ luckily she didn't see me. There's people there, lifting, not paying me any mind. To my left, there are cylindrical bags suspended from the low ceilings by three chains, and a lot of them. Punching bags, I realise. They're full of sand. I hesitantly step to the closest on to me, pressing my fingertips against it, curious.

"Faster!"

I jump at the sudden, loud yell that echoes off the walls. It was rough, compelling the person they were yelling at to go faster. I follow the voice that keeps shouting harsh, yet encouraging words, through many bags further into the room.