Chapter 36

Eating definitely made me feel better but now I can barely keep my eyes open. I'm beyond exhausted and after serious contemplation and self-doubt, I finally convince myself to stop obsessing about the Watchman. Clearly, it's a waste of time and I need go to get some sleep. Besides, the mental escape is something I'm looking forward to. Maybe I'll just stay in bed for a couple of days.

Silencing my phone, I leave it face down on the table to charge and walk back to the bed. I pull back the covers, turning off the lamp before slipping in. I'm still wearing the thick, white robe because it's cold as hell in here, but that's how I like it. I haven't even turned the heater on in the room because I hate being hot. And lately, I sleep way better when I can feel the weight of blankets over me. Tonight is no exception. Everything will seem better tomorrow.

It has to.

~~

I awaken from sunlight streaming in from the window and glance around the room, not entirely sure of where I am. Oh yeah—a motel room with an adjoining door to my Aunt Kelly and Uncle John's room. The same motel we're staying at because our house was completely destroyed by a fire. And I have no doubt it's gonna take a while to figure out what our next move will be. It's like life has sucker punched each of us in the gut. Uncle John could have lost his life. Not that I would have been overly devastated, he is an asshole. But still, I don't want him to die. I'm also not sure how much more Aunt Kelly can take. She's always been strong, especially when Zack and I needed her after our parents died. But now, when I look at her, I see a frail, thirty-five year old woman who seriously can't take much more. I have to keep everything a secret. The Watchman, Zack, the crazy-unbelievable shit that's been happening—all of it. I refuse to cause her any more stress. I love her too much.

I glance over at the clock on the nightstand and see that it's already 8:30am. I push back the covers so quickly I nearly trip trying to get to my phone. Four missed calls and seven new text messages.

Shit.

Flipping through the first few messages, I notice three from Skylar and four from Aunt Kelly from ten minutes ago. I immediately go to hers.

"Morning. I'm grabbing breakfast for John and me. You hungry?"

My thumbs are already typing back, "Starving."

Almost immediately the three dots appear...she's texting. "I'm at Mikey D's. Want pancakes?"

"Yes. And hash browns. TY."

"Of course. Be back in ten."

I smile because it feels good to be back to my boring life. No more complete insanity. Hell, maybe it was all just a bad dream? Or more like a very vivid nightmare. I'd love to think so but when I look down at Skylar's messages I know none of it was a dream. Pin needles poke at my stomach and suddenly; I'm no longer hungry...