Chapter Twenty-Three

"Do not get into a wrestling match with a Vampire. You'll never win." Arthur's voice caught my attention as he raised it over the noise of several people sparring.

Breath blasted from my lungs as Isaac flipped me flat on my back onto the mat. I grunted and lay there for a moment, glaring up at the ceiling. The mat was certainly softer than the bare floor, but I must be doing my defensive falls wrong because I was still hurting. I listened to Jake start laughing. "Well, it sorta depends on the type of wrestling. I beat Emilio all the time." Arthur sighed in response.

I raised a brow when Isaac appeared in my vision, leaning over me with a smile on his face as he panted. "You okay there Tucker?"

I rolled over and shoved to my feet, getting up to bounce on my toes a bit. "I'm fine."

"You're distracted."

I jumped when Arthur spoke up from right behind me, leaping up and away like Angel when I had tried to give her a bath. Arthur had laughed then. He wasn't now. He folded his arms across his chest and studied me, then he was dropping his arms at his sides and striding into my space.

I backpedaled frantically, yelping when Arthur reached out lightning quick for me. I lifted my arms defensively, everything I had learned abandoning me. He grasped my wrists in both his hands and dragged me towards him, jaws opening as his fangs appeared. I whined and dropped to my knees, my head rolling back to give him my throat. I panted as the strange sensation of euphoria went singing through me.

Then it was shattered when I was jostled. Isaac let out a fantastic battle cry as he struck Arthur hard in the chest with both heels of his hands. Arthur let go of me to deal with Isaac as my friend pressed the attack on my behalf. Isaac fought with everything in him, forcing Arthur to retreat.

I felt strong hands drop over my shoulders and press me firmly into my heels. Tears pricked my eyes and I struggled not to break down as Isaac almost managed to catch Arthur in a throw hold. Then Arthur reversed it and flipped Isaac onto his back. Arthur straddled Isaac with a foot on either side of his hips, grabbing up handfuls of his shirt and lifting my friend up towards his bared fangs.

Then they froze. Arthur slowly smiled, his fangs retracting as he carefully let go of Isaac. "Very good. I only saw that last mistake. And that can be avoided next time if you-"

I stopped listening, gritting my teeth and looking away. For a heart stopping moment I had thought Arthur was about to bite Isaac. And I had been painfully jealous. I reached up to pat one of Max's hands holding me on my knees and he let go. I stood and half turned to look at Max. He was giving me a very concerned look.

"Tucker?"

I shook my head and started to walk off the mat. Arthur called me back. I ground to a halt and turned to look back at him. "What?"

Arthur noted the odd timbre of my voice. I could see that much flash across his expression. But he didn't know what it meant. He moved on with his lesson slowly, just as he slowly crossed the mat to me. "You cannot be distracted in a fight. Not when your life depends on it. You certainly can't just give up and go to your knees."

"Watch me!" I spat. I turned my back on him and stalked off the mat, snatching up a water bottle and cracking it open to drain it. Wiping my mouth on the back of my hand, I left the sparring lessons behind to climb back up to the human section.

My neck burned from all the stares that were following me out. I didn't dare turn back though, not if it would allow them to see the tears gathering in my eyes. I left the uncomfortable silence behind and found a place upstairs to sit and watch the normal people working out.