e p i l o g u e

HAILEY WAS IN A DEEP conversation with dad. Her hands were in metal cuff links. The police had come early that morning to pick her up. They gave her a time of half an hour to talk things and reconcile with the family. Probably because she had very few chances to get out of jail for years. Officer Kane said he highly doubted if she would receive a confinement less than thirty years. She had not only murdered a person but also remained in the dark for over nineteen years.

Her face was heavily scarred and she had been bandaged up. The night after the exorcism of Jane, she said she wanted to own up and inform the police. An almost tearful and reluctant dad called up the police in the morning. Dad was more in control with his fury than I had expected him to be. Hailey had kept a big truth away from him. She practically ruined his life. I watched as his eyebrows conjoin with his rapidly building anger.

"I loved you, Hailey. I really did love you. We had two kids together and you kept this huge truth away from Allison and me. You hurt us. The scars you gave me would never heal. And if it does. Should I just forgive you and let you back in my life? I don't know. We will have to wait and watch until then," He said remorsefully. Hailey wiped at her tearful eyes.

"I guess I will just wait too," She answered, avoiding dad's green gaze. Dad nodded gravely before moving into the house.

"I love you too," She whispered to his retreating figure. Tears had filled her green eyes. Even if she was going to jail, I was glad that she is fine. The phone and the glass pieces were surgically removed. She had a fractured arm and four stitches on her forehead but she was alive and breathing. I was lost in my own thoughts when she approached me. Two female officers, one of them being Greta Fallon walked alongside her.

"Allison?" She called. I looked up at her to meet with her green eyes. Her gaze held undistinguishable emotions. Even with her face being scarred, she still was beautiful in a sophisticated way.

"I am sorry. Please forgive me," She semi sobbed.

"If you are being sorry for killing Geiger Martin. Then you don't have to, because he is a total stranger to me. Even if he was alive, I don't think I would have got along with him. I don't want to question your intentions for killing him either. Life is unpredictable. If you are being sorry for hiding the fact that I had another father, then you are forgiven. I kind of understand why you hid it from me. If you are being sorry for neglecting me, then I can't accept your apology. It hurts too much. All these years I have been thinking you hated me because I did something wrong," I told her. She fixed her eyes on the garden floor.

"I was asking your forgiveness for that. I know I won't be able to mend our broken relationship but I want to create a new one with you," She said taking my hands in hers. "Allison, will you come and visit me in jail?" She asked her voice breaking. I nodded, not knowing what to say.

"And Allison, I could never hate you even if I want to," She said sadly. Managing a weak wavering smile, she moved to talk to Scarlett who had engulfed her in a gripping hug. I guess it's her way to tell me that she loves me.

"My gun's missing. Did you see it anywhere?" A young police officer questioned me, as he came up from behind. I absentmindedly shook my head, as I watched my sisters embrace Hailey. Sighing frustratedly, the officer walked off. Scarlett was crying heavily and little Becky peeked out behind her. Hailey grabbed the little girl in a fierce hug.

"Quite an emotional scene. Don't you think?"

I jolted as if I had been struck by lightening on hearing the familiar voice. I would never be able to forget this raucous voice. I turned around and there stood the charred most dreaded figure of Jane looking just the way I remember. Fear took over my body. My blood solidified in my veins.