Twenty Four • A Smidge

Song: Slide by The Goo Goo Dolls

By the end of the night you could barely remember your own name. All that mattered at that very moment was the alcohol that ran down your throat. The world was a foggy haze and you could barely stand. The bar spun around you as you decided after many hours of talking to Lake, that it was about time to go home.

The talking had really helped to ease your mind. You now knew in your alcohol, jealousy and pain induced state what you wanted. You just wanted to be happy, and if Newt made you happy then so be it. If broomsticks could fly, you could get yourself a boyfriend.

Laughing uncomfortably you told Lake that you were going home, and that you would see him at work.

"Yeah. Okay. See you then." Lake said with a nod as he ordered himself another drink.

"You aren't going home?" You asked.

"Nah. As long as I get to work on time it won't matter. Go home, get some rest." Lake said with an exhausted sigh.

"Alright. See you later then." You told the man as you drew your wand.

"Just for the record, I'm happy for you. I've never been able to get over you since school. I'm glad you have Newt." He said, as he downed another glass of scotch.

"You what?" You spat.

"We could try to make him jealous. We could pretend to be a couple. Then even if he does see Tina Goldstein it wouldn't matter." Lake said with a laugh.

"Lake that's a terrible idea. That's a last resort. You know, in case they..." You began so say, before subconscious tears slowly escaped your eyes.

"I need to go home." You sniffled as you held your wand out and apparated home. There was no point in arguing with him.

The flat was dark. You were standing in the living room of the pitch black apartment. Looking around you sleepily. You crept slowly over to the couch. Moving the blanket off of the couch you saw that it was already taken.

"Newt? What are you doing on my couch?" You whisper yelled at the man.

With a sleepy groan the man turned over and faced you. The small strips of light from the street light outside barely lighting his face.

"Morning, love." Newt said with a sleepy smile.

"Newt I'm drunk, I'm emotional and I'm tired. I don't want to play games." You spat.

"Yeah, I can tell." He said as he wiped the sleep from his eyes.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" You retorted.

"I couldn't bring myself to leave Poppy home alone. Not after what happened. You even told me you would talk to me later on when you pushed me out of your office." Newt said.

"I would have explained everything, I swear. It's just complicated." You told Newt.

"Well if it's so complicated, as my partner. We need to work something out, I should think." Newt said as he sat up.

"Newt. I think I like you far more than I should. This Tina Goldstein one, she's here in London. My old, annoying friend from back at school has resurfaced." You said in a slur of alcohol induced bickering.

"Well that does clear things up." Newt said with an audible sigh.

"I shouldn't have said that." You scolded yourself.

"No. It's fine. I needed to know. How did you know about Tina?" Newt asked.

"Of course you ask about her first!" You said.

"Well I did know her before you." Newt retorted.

"That doesn't change anything! I'm here. With you. Right now. When she's not. Yet you still care more about her!" You seethed.

"I don't. I'm just asking!" Newt countered.

"Well if you care so much about this woman why don't you go be with her!" You spat.

"Sis? It's late. Stop yelling at Mr Scamander drunk and go to bed. You big stupid." Poppy said, as she walked out into the hallway.

"Poppy-" you began to say.

"Go back to bed. I was just leaving." Newt said as he stood.

Collecting his things and throwing on his coat he looked pained in a way. The darkness of the flat enveloping all the things left unsaid.

"Newt, please. I'm sorry." You said to the man as he approached the new door to the flat.

With a nod Newt turned the door knob and walked out of the flat. The lights from the hallway outside blinded you for an instant before you ran after him.

Tripping and falling down the stairs behind him you stumbled into the lobby. Where he was standing there, waiting for you.

"I have feelings for you as well." Newt said, as he looked down to his shoes.

"You what?" You asked.

"I might. Well I think that. No. That's stupid. I couldn't. Could I?" Newt rambled.

"What are you getting at, Newt?" You asked

"I think I love you. Maybe, slightly. Just a smidge." Newt said nervously.

"Just a smidge?" You chocked out.

"Yeah. Maybe." He said with another nod.

The blue coat clad man then pulled open the large, heavy glass doors and walked out onto the dark street.

You stood there for a long moment just processing what had just happened. Newt might love you. It was insane. That was no way to tell you. Now you just didn't know what to do, or what to feel.

Tripping out into the street after him you were hit by a cold moonless night. The stars were covered by the usual English overcast like a foggy blanket that dulled the sky.

"I love you too." You whispered out into the cold darkness. He was gone. Newt had left you once again.

Please vote if you liked this chapter!