Prologue

>>Pic of Summer Rose<<

     "Faye! Stop it!" a red-haired 4-year-old girl giggled uncontrollably as her fuchsia haired older sister tickled her with no mercy. "No way!" the older sister stuck her tongue out. "Ruby! Faye! Come for dinner!" Summer exclaimed from the kitchen.

     Immediately, Faye stopped tickling Ruby and ran towards their bedroom door. "Race ya to the dining room!" she said before heading down the stairs. "Hey! No fair! You got a head start!" Ruby complains as she follows her sister.

     The girls laughed joyfully, tripping on each other and tumbling down, little giggles unceasing. Summer smiles at them through the exasperated look on her face and ushers them over to the table.

     "Awe, I'm missing out on all the fun!" their older sister says with a grin as Summer served her more food than she could eat. "Now now, enough of that. Time to eat," Taiyang, chuckling at the two menaces that always rucked up trouble. "Okay!" Ruby and Faye said simultaneously as they made their way to the dinner table, snickering at Yang like the tiny menaces the family knew and loved.

~~~A few years later~~~

     Summer softly shuts the door, heart heavy and a tear rolling down her face. "I'm sorry. I have to do this," she whispers. Taking a step back, and then another, she finally wills herself to turn around and leave. It's for the best, she tells herself, she's making the right decision.

~~~

     "Where's mom?"

~~~

     "Why hasn't mom come back yet?"

~~~

     Faye's ears fill with white noise and she just couldn't keep listening to this. The young girl runs from her place behind the door, seeking the comfort of her room. She finds Ruby taking a nap on her bed and climbs in after her, hugging the dark-haired girl from behind. "Faye?" Ruby says in a sleepy voice.

     "Just sleep," Faye whispers, trying to hold her tears back as they lay in bed. "Okay." Ruby obliges, oblivious to the life-changing moment that had occurred. When Faye is sure that Ruby is asleep, she lets her tears out and hugs Ruby closer. "Oh, Ruby. Who's going to protect you from me now?" she whispers sadly, more afraid than ever. Faye wanted to scream so desperately but kept it in. Wanted to yell at the world and demand it to give her mother back, but what good would that do?

     The door opens with a red-eyed Taiyang, and a sobbing Yang. "Ruby. Faye," he calls out in an effort to wake them up. Faye, although awake, stays still. However, her sister gets up right away when she hears her name.

     "Psst, Faye. Dad's calling—Faye? Why are you crying?" Ruby panics, touching Faye's cheeks frantically. Realization dawns upon Taiyang and he solemnly walks over to Ruby. Pulling her and the curled up ball of Faye into his arms, he regretfully says, "Honey... your mother is not coming back."

~~~A week later~~~

     "Dad..." Faye mutters, feeling more lost than ever. They were still depressed about Summer's death. All of them. Yang was reading Ruby a bedtime story in her room, as per the orders from her dad. "Faye, you'll be fine. I trust that you'll be able to control your power around Ruby," Taiyang assures the panicked girl, pulling her towards him with a side hug.

     Faye shakes her head vigorously and leans into her father's side as the events of that morning repeats in her mind.

     "Ruby..." Faye says, running her hand through the younger's hair as they sat on the couch. "Yes?" was Ruby's weak reply, looking up at Faye with her big doe eyes. But before Faye could say anything, her eyes turned red, and her hands came up to a chokehold on her little sister's neck. "Faye!" Taiyang yelled, pulling Faye away from Ruby. He notices her eyes immediately and dread fills up inside of him. "Red..." He thinks sadly before striking her head. God, he really needed his wife's guidance.

     Ruby coughs and glances at Faye's limp body. "Dad, why did she do that? Did I make her angry?" she asks her dad in confusion, tears pooling in her eyes. Taiyang shakes his head and brings Ruby in a tight embrace. "She no longer has the one who keeps her power in check. Summer was the only one who could lock away the deadly power. Now she's gone... and the lock has been broken."

     "I'm leaving, dad," Faye says suddenly. The young girl gets off the couch with her mind made up. "You shall not," Taiyang refuses, even though he knows that look of determination. Faye always took after her mother. She turns to her father, eyes heavy with pain. "Please understand, dad. I'll never forgive myself if I end up killing Ruby."

__________________________________________

Aye! I hope you guys like it! I'm excited to see how this book will turn out!

Vote|Comment|Follow

~ Lyragirl11