Chapter Twelve

----------------

Dedication: xxLivexLovexLaugh for the awesome cover! I love it!

Recap:

I pulled it from the butterfly stick it was stuck to and opened it.

Congratulations for making the team. I had no doubt that you would. I look forward to working with you more closely.

Sincerely,

AB.

AB...

Ashton Brennon. The Coach.

A small smile curved my lips as I pressed the card to my chest.

I had a feeling, I was the Coach's number one.

-----------------

When my phone read 8:35am, I got worried.

Every Wednesday, Harvey picked me up from my house because it's my rest day from swim practise. He is never late. I let out a sigh as I stretch, the warm sun rays hitting my face. I hate the fact that we have to wear these hideous, heavy jackets and ties each day. It's not practical nor climate-appropriate.

When the time hit 8:40am, I sent him a text, asking where he was. It soon came to 8:50, when I let out a groan, getting to my feet. I began my trek to school, my school bag feeling unusually heavy on my shoulders. Maybe it was because I felt lazy and had become too reliant on Harvey's transportation services. It was the one day I didn't have to walk.

I arrive just as the bell rang. I hastily grab my books and make my way to History, hoping that Harvey is there. My stomach clenched when I saw that his seat was empty. I collapse onto my own chair and check my phone one last time, before shoving it into my bag.

Harvey is literally my only friend. I have never thought about the fact that I would be by myself if he ever didn't show. Casting a surly look towards the vacant chair beside me, I flip my writing book open. I angrily write the date and the title of the chapter we're working on.

Mia snickers in my direction and nudges Mike, pointing at me. I choose to ignore her and focus on the boring lesson that I am forced to endure. I already feel like a loser, Mia doesn't need to rub it in.

The next two periods dragged by slowly. When the lunch bell rang, I almost cried with joy. I dug my phone from my bag to find a text from Harvey.

Harvey: So sorry! I had a fever last night and crashed early. Forgot to set my alarms. Hope you weren't late today. Should be back tomorrow!

I quickly sent one back saying it was fine and that I hoped he was feeling better. I made my way down to the cafeteria, before stopping. Harvey and I usually ate lunch outside. I glanced through the large windows and saw Mia and Mike sitting at our table. She was obviously waiting for me to come out. She probably had some evil plan of embarrassing me in front of everyone and pointing out the fact that I had no friends.

I could already hear Mike's deep, annoying voice stating something like, "Aw, look, there's only the one dork today."

Narrowing my eyes, I turn on my heel and storm towards the gym, feeling frustrated. Being alone sucks. I had that enough at home, I didn't need it at school, too.

Pushing through the door, I made my way towards the Coach's office. I was there and knocking on his door before I had even really thought about what I was doing.

"Come in," his voice calls.

Letting out a deep breath, I slip through the gap and shut it behind me.