40; The War

'Second To You' by Thompson

"Just like your next of kin.

All of your problems, that I inherited.

They may be heavy.

I should have cared less.

You wouldn't notice but your self-obsessed."

Fjörgyn came to me this morning. She told me that since the supernatural veil collapsed, her power hasn't been the same. In fact, the only thing that is keeping her tethered here is me.

"I can't stay here much longer. Even if I am tethered to you, it's not a strong enough hold. I need to let go of you before things turn into a war. If you die my soul vanishes completely." Fjörgyn explains.

"Please, just teach me more. I need you, Fjörgyn." I beg her.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot. You may grow on your own, sweet song. I must take my leave." Fjörgyn explained. She took my cheeks in her hands and kissed my forehead.

I felt an electric current rush down my spine and she was gone. I left the room and went into the sitting room where Hayley and Genevieve were. "Elijah should have called by now." Hayley paced.

"Worrying isn't going to help. You two should sit down to keep calm." Genevieve ordered us.

"What are you now, magician-slash-zen life coach?" Hayley asked.

"My thoughts exactly." I cross my arms.

"The treatment of pregnant women has advanced remarkably since I was a nurse, but even I know high blood pressure is bad for the mother and the baby, especially now that you, Harper, are so close to term." Genevieve explained.

I huffed and sat down. "Did you sleep with all the pregnant women's lovers?" I growled lowly. They ignored my comment and went back to subject.

"I hate this. I feel completely useless." Hayley sighed.

"Don't you two get it? You're the point to all this. Klaus and Elijah running all over town. It's all for you two. I'm a bit envious." Genevieve confessed.

"Great. Lucky me." Hayley sarcastically muttered.

"Is there anything I can get you?" Genevieve asks.

"How about a moonlight ring?" Hayley asks. She did have a point. Genevieve sat down on the couch next to Hayley.

"The spell can't be performed until the full moon reaches its apex, and, of course, I need the stones, which will be here soon enough. Have a little faith." Genevieve told Hayley.

Hayley glared at her, then stood and walked out. "That didn't go very well." I state. I stood and went after Hayley catching up to her on the middle floor. I grabbed her arm and made her stop.

"Hayley, if you're so worried call Elijah." I order her. Hayley sighed and rolled her eyes as she took her phone out. She dialed Elijah and put the call on speaker.

"Jackson is fine. He's a little tied up right now. Could we call you back?" Elijah asked as he picked up.

"Are you trying to kill us?" Jackson asked loudly in the background.

"Elijah tell us what's happening." I demand.

A loud explosion on the other end of the phone made Hayley and I look at each other with wide eyes.