Ringer

Jonathan didn't have a ring to propose to me with when he did, right after I told him about what happened in high school, so today, we're going to the jewelry store. Jonathan said that I should be the one to pick out my engagement and our wedding rings, he would have never picked the right one for me. I told him I would have loved whatever he had happened to buy, but him proposing was also a slight spontaneous thing.

We walk into Daylight Jewelry store on Monroe st., here in the city. Walking hand in hand down the street, I look around with a new found excitement. I'm guessing it's the fact that I'm engaged to the man of my dreams.

Jonathan opens the door for me, and I walk in slowly, taking in the dark blue paint on the walls, and the bright lights that hang from strips on the ceiling.

"Hi", a cheerful girl says as we walk in, and the door shuts slowly behind Jonathan. "Welcome to Daylight Jewelers. Can I help you two look for something today?"

"We need an engagement ring", Jonathan says with confidence.

"Congrats", she smiles. "What is the price range? Style? Cut?"

"I don't have a price range", Jonathan speaks. He smiles happily. "And any ring she likes, then she will get. I'm just here to make sure she gets whatever makes her happy".

"Okay then", the girl, who only looks to be about twenty, answers. "How about the style? What were you thinking about. Square, oval? Gold band, silver?"

"Definitely a silver band, I'm semi allergic to wearing gold jewelry. I do like circle or round cuts the best, but I don't really have anything set in stone preference wise".

"Okay". I can see the girl, who's small black lettered name tag says Penelope, think for a moment. "We can start over in the circle cuts in this case. Just have a quick look, and if you see one you like, I can pull it out".

I stand in front of the case, and she, Penelope, walks around behind it. I feel Jonathan's arm brush mine, and I know he's also looking at what I am. "Oh", I slightly squeal. "I really like that one. The middle one on your far left".

Penelope takes a large, singular jeweled ring with a simple band. It's quite a simple ring, but the jewel is bigger than most in the case. Penelope hands me the ring and I slide it slowly onto my finger, examining the ring on my left hand.

"You know", I quietly say, examining the ring a little. "I really like the diamond, but the band might just be a little too plain".

I give the ring back to Penelope and continue to look at the rings. One last look over the case before I move on to the case she had pointed out. Then, I see it. "That one", I seem to whisper.

"Which one?" Penelope looks at me with curiosity.

I point to the middle of the case, where a twirled ring sits. "It's perfect", I say.

Penelope takes out the little ring. It has a braided band, one of the strips has small diamonds layering on top of it. The middle diamond is the perfect size. It's held on by four little fasteners in each quarter of the circle. She gives me the ring, and I slide it onto my finger. It's not tight, but it's not loose. It's not a huge diamond, but it's no where near small.

"Do we have a winner?" Penelope asks.

I look up at Jonathan who looks between my eyes and the rings, then I turn back to her. "This is it. No question".

"I'm glad. It looks perfect on you. Let's get you a box for it".

Penelope locks the case and motions for us to follow her. Jonathan's hand grasps mine as we walk to the bright checkout counter at the back of the store.

I zone out, looking at my engagement ring, that I don't even hear the price, which I don't think Jonathan would really want me to. I know it was on the more expansive side, and if I had heard the price, I would have insisted on getting something less expansive.

"Here's the box for your ring", she hands me the small, dark blue velvet box. "You two are all set today. Congratulations on the engagement, again".

Jonathan and I both thank her for her help, I slide the ring box into a pocket on the outside of my purse, and we walk back out of the store. "I love you Jonathan. Thank you so much".

"I love you with all my heart, CJ. I'm so glad you said yes. I know that wasn't an ideal place to propose, but I had to".

"You could have slipped the proposal into an everyday conversation, or over text, and I would have said yes. I didn't even need a ring today. I would have married you if we didn't have rings or anything like that".

"But, my love needed a special ring for herself. I was glad to buy that ring for you".

"I love it so much. I will never take it off. Ever", I laugh.

"You know your eyes glow when you're excited? They're really beautiful when they glow they're amazing turquoise color".

"You sure know how to sweet talk a girl, don't you".

"Oh no. It's just you. I couldn't do this to anyone else if my life depended on it". He makes me giggle.

"You're an amazing person", I compliment.

"You're my best friend".

"You're my sweet talking guy".

"You are my fiancé".

That I am.