02; meet the man

LET'S MEET THE MAN

❝ LET'S MEET THE MAN ❞

The moment the ear-splitting whistles began to echo through the hollow depths of the forest, they knew they were done running. They'd been playing a game of tag all day, trying to escape from the enemy, but everybody, even The Saviours knew that there was no way out. They were trapped. Every head spun frantically, watching as the shadows crept closer to them with each passing moment.

They sped desperately on command of the girl's father. The noise followed them until suddenly there was a blinding light, the source of it being a large black truck–the one she had seen earlier while on the road with Negan. Vada shielded her face with her arms, but it didn't help.

The whistles were deafening and the figures continued to creep closer. Before they knew it they were trapped, hungry, tired, and surrounded by at least one hundred armed men.

A man emerged from the shadows, who Vada recognized to be Simon. She snivelled behind her father, not wanting to be seen despite the inevitability of the situation. A smirk grew on his face as he inched towards Rick.

"Good, you made it, welcome to where you're goin'," Simon grinned, "We'll take your weapons now."

The girl's father had driplets of sweat trickling down his face, his hair looking as if he had just taken a fresh shower. His eyes were bloodshot. Her hand rested on his shoulder, legs trembling.

"We can talk about it," He breathed. He was desperate. They all were. They had been doing so good. Life was peaceful, they had a town and a family. They didn't want to lose it all.

"We're done talking. It's time to listen."

Men came around and unarmed each person one by one. Vada jumped when a low-pitched voice came from behind her.

"Well, look at what we've got here," She turned around and came face to face with Simon, "I guess you don't have any weapons, huh?"

His laugh evaporated into the cool night. He grabbed the blade that he had stolen from her and ran it across the palm of his hand lightly. She whimpered, she could feel his warm breath on her face as he laughed.

"Negan will not be happy about this," He shook his head, "He does not tolerate liars."

Rick turned to his daughter, heaving fiercely, his head tilted, addled, unable to speak. She shot him a pained expression.

"On your knees," He sauntered off in the other direction.

She kneeled beside Abraham and Maggie as she shut her eyes and took deep, elongated breathes. Despite her discomfort, she turned to Maggie and attempted to console her. Abraham placed a hand on the shaking girl's back and rubbed in circles.