Chapter 21: Back Off! He's My Boyfriend

Chapter 21
Back Off! He's My Boyfriend

Derek singing makes me want to hit the back of his head. Probably it's one of the Lady Gaga songs he has listened to. There are times that Derek is so funny you would hate him, and sometimes, his timing is awful. Like what he has just done a minute or so ago. He sang something dirty knowing that Dale was here with me. I turn around and give him an awkward smile, but he's already grinning, shrugging as if he doesn't have a care.

My heart races faster as he slings his arm around my neck, hanging on my shoulder and he pushes me closer to him. I flush, pursing my lips, trying to hide the blush that I know my cheeks are showing. He smell of cinnamon; I love cinnamons, especially if it's on the bread, or a coffee, and chocolate drinks. Dale and I don't have the same class, and I know for a fact that we're taking an opposite route, considering his classroom is south and we're heading north.

"Hi Dale," a girl with the long curly blonde hair flowing free down her shoulders says to Dale, and Dale just tips his head in acknowledgement. I nearly grin, but the girl's arm stretches out and puts a palm on my boyfriend's shoulder. I grit my teeth. "I was wondering if you could come to our house... you know, to have fun. The others will be there, too." She hastily adds. I don't need to ask what her definition of having fun is. I want to say: Back off! He's my boyfriend.

I have this huge expectation that Dale will decline her offer in front of me, but no Dale, him being himself, says something. "Um, sure, Carla, why not?" the girl squeals, basically jumping like a kid and just when I think that their conversation will not last, but no, Carla – this bitch – chats up with my boyfriend about what he thinks of her having a pet dog. I nearly spat that she is a pet dog, but hold back myself. I duck, making Dale's arm fall on his side and he looks at me, brows drawn together and I just give him a shrug with a blank look on my face as I walk backwards, then I turn around and leave him with Carla and I hope they have a nice chat. Not.

Turning left, I half-jog to my classroom since the warning bell will ring in five minutes and I don't want to be late. I have been so stressed lately that I haven't had time to work on my studies and if ever I fail one subject, my parents will totally kill me. Education is important, my mother had said.

I head inside my class, take a seat, and sit throughout the class, my head filled with Dale-thoughts.

Jealousy is still coursing through me, all over my body, going up in my head and I block out all the noise. Calming my breathing, I think of Dale telling me that he wanted to try things with me, to be together with him, and it helps me relaxed. But that doesn't take off the jealousy still inside me. I mean, I know that Dale is with me now, but it's not like the whole school knows about it. We're just like gems buried underneath a pile of sands and debris and garbage, still shining though.

The voice of the teacher drifts out, and all I can hear is the faint beat of my heart in my ears. I rest my palm on my chest where my beating heart lies, and every beat of it, it screams the name of my boyfriend. It feels like he's still not mine. It feels like he doesn't belong with me. It's just the same. Nothing new. My heart still wants Dale. My body still wants Dale. My head still flashes the images of Dale. There's nothing new. Jealousy is still there, but I cannot show it to the public because I'm not sure whether Dale would like us to go public, to let people know about us. It's not really a big thing for me, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like if people know that we're together. Will the girls still to continue flirt at him, knowing that he has already a boyfriend? Will the other gays stop stalking him (just like what I did before) knowing that he's Beau St. Clair's boyfriend?

"Hey," Dustin greets me, beaming brightly at me. Half of his tattoo is visible as the other half is hidden underneath the sleeve of his uniform. "Been calling you and you have spaced out. Something wrong?"