Gust of Wind - Pietro Maximoff x Reader

Words: 1043
Pairing: Pietro Maximoff x Reader
Featuring: Wanda
Warnings: swearing, fighting, fluff
Requested by maximoffweasly 
Summary: As a New York bookseller, your boss warned you of how many crazy people try to rob a bookstore. When there is some real danger, you believe the man is crying wolf.
Author's Note: I really love normal civilian x avenger it's such an interesting dynamic

*Edited*

---

"We get a lot of weird people in here," Your boss told you on the first day you started your new job, "Don't listen to a word they say. They're usually trying to get you out of the store so they can either take stuff from in here or take stuff from you. You're safe in here; just don't listen to some people." She told you.

"Okay?" You replied. It's a bookstore. How bad can it be? "I'll be sure to take care of that?"

Every time someone new entered the store, you tended to remember the conversation with your boss. You now worked there for a few months, and nothing strange happened. Sure, there was an occasional drunk trying to buy a book, but that could happen anywhere. Unlike your boss said, no one ever came up to you and tried to get you out of the store.

Usually, the store had a few people in it at a time. But today, it seemed like a ghost town; not many people were even outside. Was something going on?

Opposite to your thoughts, you started to take inventory of the store and stock the books that needed to be placed on display or re-located. Over the months you had been at the bookstore, you grew to love it more than you thought you could. It became one of your favorite places to be, even if your boss was a little whacky.

You usually kept to your side of town, not venturing too far into the city. You never went near Stark Tower or anything related to the Avengers, as you actually didn't believe in many of them. Sometimes, it all looked too much like a popularity and false hope stunt; it was hard to believe it was real. A god, a super soldier, enhanced people? It was all too strange for you.

There was a gust of wind in the store, knocking many books off their shelves. Groaning, you walked over to pick them up. "Anyone in here? Hey! Look, we have to get you out of here. You could be in some serious danger," The man breathed out. You looked him up and down, and the strange ensemble made you believe it was one of the 'crazy' people who wanted you out of the store. He had gray hair and pale skin and wore a tight, blue outfit.

You laughed. "I've heard about that one before, buddy. It's going to take a lot more than that to shake me."

"What? I'm serious; you're right in the middle of the attack!" The man shouted, walking up to grab your arm. Ripping it away from him, you sent a nasty glare.

"Look," You started, thinking of all the stories your boss told you, "I have a lot of work to do, and I'm not allowed to leave the store. Either buy something, or you need to get out."

The man sighed, "Good luck."

---

It had been a few hours since the strange man tried to get you to leave, and you started to wonder what would happen if he were truthful.

As if right as that thought crossed your mind, the store began to shake. You fell to the ground with the books landing all around you, calling out for help. What's going on?

The gust of wind went through the store yet again. "Are you ready to come with me now?" The man from earlier offered his hand out to you.

"Yep, yep, let's get out of here!" You stumbled to stand up and grabbed the man's hand. The man began to run, and you quickly got dizzy as you realized how fast you were going. You gave him a strange look when you were back on the ground. "What just- what just happened?"

"I saved you from the people I warned you about hours ago!" The man sighed, "Why didn't you listen?"

"I was told not to trust crazy people," You smirked, "You seemed crazy at the time."

The man laughed and scratched the back of his neck. "Hate to break it to you, but I'm not crazy, just trying to save the world."

"Pietro!" A woman's voice shouted as a girl in red ran around the corner.

"Pietro, huh?" You smiled, getting a nod from the man, "I'm (Y/N)."

Pietro kissed your hand, a small smile joining your face as his cheeks turned a slight pink. "Come on; Cap is waiting for us!" The girl shouted. Cap? Avengers? Shit.

"I'll be right there, Wanda," Pietro brushed off what was being yelled at him. "It was a pleasure to meet you; stay safe."

You nodded. "Thank you; I'm very grateful for you saving me. I can't find the right words; I could never thank you enough," You started. "Go save the world; I hope to see you again."

"I sure hope so, love," He smiled, let go of your hand, and ran to pick up his sister, vanishing within seconds.

The following week you picked up the newspaper that was delivered to your apartment. Your jaw-dropping when you read the title, Pietro made the front page.

MANY SAVED BY THE AVENGERS

You smiled when you skimmed the paragraphs, looking for the name that saved you. He was reported to save more people than anyone would have thought, and that speed really did come in handy. He was able to take out ten enemies in two seconds- which undoubtedly saved a lot of time for everyone else.

"Enjoying your read?" A deep, familiar voice came up behind you, greeted by a gust of wind.

"Yeah, I'm reading about how some lame hero actually managed to save a person or two," You retorted, rolling your eyes, "But there is nowhere in this article that says that Pietro Maximoff is cocky as all hell when he saves people. He should probably be stopped."

"Hey! I'm not that bad," He crossed his arms and started to pout.

"I don't know about that, but whatever helps you sleep at night."

A few years ago, if someone told you that you would pick up a newspaper and want to thank the Avengers, you would have thought them insane. But now, they were everything you believed in.