Chapter 2

The Monroe Group

Were the letters written in bold and big on the building that had approximately 60 floors. This is the place where I will be working for my entire life or at least five years of my life. Since I have signed the contract of five years with the Monroe Group.

Taking a deep breath I repeat only one thing in my head 'Everything is going to be alright, you are going to be alright, you will go inside and impress everyone with your knowledge and be the best employee that they have ever had'.

This actually helped to calm my nerves. I parked my car in an empty space in the parking lot and took confident steps towards the door. I made my way towards the reception."Excuse me, can you please tell me where can I find Miss Alexandra Demakis, I am the new CA, Erica Williams".

"Ah! Miss Williams, Miss Demakis has been waiting for you. You can take elevator over there". She pointed towards the lift,"She will be on the 45th floor".

"Thank you". I made my way towards the elevator and pressed the 45th floor button. It was Alex's idea that I meet her first before actually meeting anyone else.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"Ding"

I stepped out of the elevator and there she was, Alex, my best friend. Looking all stylish. A cheerful grin spread on her pretty face when she saw me.

She excitedly walked towards me and..

"Erica!!!" She gave me a best friend hug."I am so happy for you. Isn't it wonderful that you and me, we both get to work at the the same place? "

"Yeah. I won't feel lonely like how I used to feel during my last job." 

My last workplace was terrible. No friend to talk with and a terrible Boss Mr. James Miller. Mr. Miller was a man in his early fifties with greys filling in his hair and wrinkled skin. That man looked like a seventy-year old. Too bad despite having a beautiful wife and 2 children, a boy who must be a year or two elder than me and a girl of around my age, the man is a pervert.

"Oh don't worry you already have a best friend here.... 'Meeeee'. Secondly people here are very friendly and helpful. You know you can ask me for any help, right? "

I nodded, she continued,"Come I will show you to your floor."

Entering the elevator, she pressed the button for 58th floor. "You know you are lucky, you are supposed to work on the same floor as Mr. Ethan."

"How does that make me lucky?Its a disadvantage, the boss is going to be around the entire time demanding and disturbing me."

"Oh dear! Have you forgotten our boss is a hot piece not to mention that he has looks of a Greek God. "

I won't say that I was disappointed hearing that I was supposed to work on the same floor with my boss. But I was here to work, not to flirt with my boss. Besides rich men like him are known to be playboys and they don't stick to a single women. I am sure he must be having queues of women waiting for him. Who cares?

"Yeah whatever". I replied.
.
.
.
.
"Ding"

We reached on the 58th floor. Stepping out of the elevator, as I admired my surroundings I noticed a man in a blue suit approaching us.

"Good Morning, Mr. Hales, this is my friend I told you about."

"Ian Hales, nice to meet you.I am the manager here". The man brought his hand out for a handshake. I politely accepted his handshake and introduced myself. "Erica Williams, the new Chartered Accountant. Nice to meet you too, Mr. Hales." Ian was a man probably in his early thirties, tall, slim and had black hair. He had a friendly face and an equally friendly smile.

"Call me Ian."

"Sure Ian."

"Let's show you your cabin. This way."

Waving a goodbye to Alex I followed Ian. My cabin was to the far corner. Ian opened the door for me and them entered my new cabin after me. I was studying my cabin. It had a coffee coloured desk,with all office stuff that is supposed to be present on it. The walls were of mostly white with dark brown curtains for the large windows.

"This will be your cabin. You can keep your stuff in the cupboard over there". He pointed towards a wooden cupboard. "There is almost everything present over here. If you need anything else you can ask me."

I nodded and gave him a polite smile. "I would introduce you to our boss but he is currently out of country, so I'll call his PA, Miss Jones, she will tell you what to do." Saying, Ian left.

I went and sat on my chair admiring my new office. Within few minutes a short blonde entered with a pile of files in her hand. She kept the files on the desk.Hmm so she must be the PA Miss Jones. I thought to myself. She had short blonde hair and all pretty features. Further she introduced herself. "Hello Miss Williams, I am Candice Jones.I am the PA of Mr . Monroe." She gave me one of her most fake smiles.Of course she must be obligated to be polite to all of the Monroe's employees and guests.I smiled in return.

"Mr. Monroe has discovered errors in these files. He wants you to identify those errors and make the necessary changes."

"Okay, I'll take care of this further, thank you Miss Jones." I told her in my best polite voice.

As soon as Candice left I checked the files one by one and began examining them. There was a huge pile of files that would take days to identify the mistakes and rectify them.

I was almost done with the second file when there was a knock on my door. "Come in". I said.

Alex's happy face peeped through the door. "Its lunch time. Come let's have lunch."

"Sure let me just finish these few pages."

"Hurry up".

"Yeah".

After about ten minutes I finished with my second file. "Done, lets go". I announced.

We went to the cafeteria. It was very crowded but we found an empty spot and quickly occupied it.

After having lunch we both went our separate ways.

The day passed in a blur and before I knew it was already past five meaning past the office hours. I kept all the files in the cupboard and locked it.

As I went downstairs I saw most of the parking lot was empty except a few cars and my best friend.

We both got in our separate cars and drove off after waving each other goodbye.

After reaching home I quickly took a shower and prepared dinner. I took an early dinner and decided to retire early to bed as continuous reading today made my eyes heavy.

Soon sleep took over me and I went into a peaceful slumber.

---*-*-*---

If you enjoyed my story so far please vote, comment and share my story. It is very important that you guys acknowledge my handwork.