39.

I opened the door to see Amanda holding a hanger with, not one, but two dresses.

"No." I said, immediately.

"Yes." She said, smiling brightly.

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes!"

"No!"

"No."

"Yes." I stopped when I realized what she just did. "Damn it, Amanda!"

She laughed, sardonically it was almost not human. "Loser! Reverse psychology always works, bitch! Now, to the dressing room!" She marched, literally marched, passed me and went upstairs to my room.

Rolling my eyes, I closed the door and followed her up to my room only to see her already assembling her make-up kit in front of my vanity mirror and was already searching my walk-in closet.

"Okay. What are you doing?" I asked, crossing my arms and leaning on my door frame.

"I'm looking for a pair of heels that could match your dress." She called out.

"What? But, I'm not go-"

She either didn't hear me or she didn't care because she continued, "Your brother helped me pick it out and-"

"Wait, my brother is a part of this... plan or whatever?" I groaned and fell on my bed. "How may times do I have to tell you guys this? I am not going! Why can't you guys just respect my decision and leave me alone?" I said and covered my entire face with my mattress.

I heard Amanda sigh. "Because we're just trying to look out for you. This is your last high school homecoming before graduation. Live a little. You need this. We all do. What you've experienced for the past few months, you need a break. And homecoming... well, it's the perfect excuse to look hot and prove that you haven't given up." She said.

I peeked at her from under my mattress. "I need to go to Hawaii." I retorted.

Amanda laughed. "We can do that after graduation." She assured me. "Now, let's go! We have five hours before homecoming and knowing you, you take at least an hour in the bathroom. Let's go!" She said and when I didn't move, she dragged me out of bed.

Literally.

~ o ~

"Did you really have to grab my foot and drag me out of bed like Paranormal freaking Activity?!" I called out, grumpily as I put on my dress.

Amanda, who was already applying make-up in my room, laughed. "Yup! Definitely had to do that." She said.

I rolled my eyes. "Psycho." I muttered.

"I heard that!"

"I don't care!" I snapped.

There was a long pause before, "What's taking so long in there?"

She just can't wait, can she?

The door to my walk-in closet opened and I heard a gasp. I turned around to see Amanda gazing at me. "Oh, honey. You look..." Her eyes watered.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you crying right now?"

"Well, of course I'm crying! Look at you... Oh, I'm so proud of myself." She gushed and wiped her eyes.

"Now you're just exaggerating it." I deadpanned.

"I know. Come on." She pulled me outside and zipped my dress for me before letting me look at myself.

Only one thought came to mind: wow.